LegacyGT.com

emissions testing in Denver / Boulder

grocery getter

Is emissions testing only in Denver and Boulder? Anyone ever register a car in a different location? I have a Bimmer that will not pass emissions in it's current state - any help would be appreicated!

No emissions testing in Larimer county. Not sure about the rest of the state.

FWIW, it is fraudulent to register a car in any place other than your primary residence. If you use a car more than 30 days/year in an area that requires testing, then it should be tested.

I run into this because with my rock crawlers and diesel pickup, it's a PITA to get E-tests (swapping tires is the biggest issue, they won't test tires larger than 33"), thought of registering them at an alternative property that is owned by my family but if they catch onto it, it would not be a good. It would be pretty easy to do a database lookup and see where you pay your taxes, and notice that the car(s) are in a different location.

BTW, the only counties that have emissions requirements are: Denver, Boulder, Jefferson, Douglas, Adams, Broomfield and Arapahoe.

All that said, its easy to do, legal, not so much, but I guess it's okay if you don't get caught.

Archived