LegacyGT.com

ipod/mp3 modulator ****Install w/Pics****

FJuan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got around to my install! I had a few minor problems, mostly due to my lack of experience though. Eventually I got everything hooked up and working. I had some problems at first, but it was due to a fuse blowing (i bought the car used and someone had put a 7.5 fuse in for the cig lighter where a 10 should have been). When everything was done and I was ready to drive home from work, my headlights went OUT when I released the emergency brake (headlights should then normally be turned on)

I obviously reversed something, but am not sure what. The only wires I messed with were the power and ground to the lighter that I used for the power switch for the modulator.

I also switched a fuse out to test the modulator, does anyone think that this could have possibly screwed up my wiring for the headlights?

It doesn't seem to be, but again, I'm not the most advanced in this area. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much!!!

does the ebrake notification in the dash act in reverse too? You may have somethign backwards.

You know the 1st time I took my car apart inside I couldn't help but call it a "crazy japanese puzzle box" but the more I did it.. the more 2nd nature it was. Now I can rip it down with the radio out in just a few minutes.. and w/o busting my knuckle on the console/shifter gap! :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I finally have everything in the proper working order and love the modulator.

When I was installing it, it didn't seem to be working. I could figure out that I wasn't getting power, but wasn't sure why. I should have checked earlier, but for some reason I didn't. Eventually, I checked the fuse for the cig. lighter. I know the lighter worked before the install, I guess I just assumed that the power would still be good after. The fuse had blown.

I purchased the car used and never bothered to check the fuses. I took the car to the dealer to have a few things taken care of under the warranty just shy of 35,000 miles. One of the things was that the lighter didn't work. I don't know if it was the dealer or someone else, but they put a 7.5 amp fuse in the lighter when the manual says it should have a 10 amp.

I didn't have any spare fuses, so I took one out of slot 18 (back up light I think) and the modulator worked!!

I did this at work, when I went to go home at night, I had the headlight/e brake issues.

This morning I picked up some spare fuses and replaced the one in 18 and lights are back working properly!

Thanks again for everyones help! Had I not made the amatuer mistake of not checking the fuse, I would have completed the install in a very short period of time.

I've only used this forum one previous time, but I think its great that so many people are willing to share their ideas and knowledge with others. I look forward to learning more from this site and its members and hope that eventually I'll be able to contribute something myself...haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine installed in about 30 minutes. I mounted the switch on the fuse box door and then ran the headphone jack connector through the ashtray. Sound quality is good, way better than any other FM modulator I've used.

Now I just need a good mount for my slacker...hopefully proclip is working on one!

That looks about right. Get an "Add-a-fuse" from your autoparts store of choice to make getting power easier.

Can you provide a little more detail?

What exactly do you need, what kind to get, what does it do, etc.???

Thanks.

good.. then you wont need the blank CD. :D

its not hard at all to do.. if you've ever installed a micro ribbon cable like that its a walk in the park.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived