LegacyGT.com

Inconsistent Squealing/Grinding Noise - Please Help

Update: the dealer couldn't find any problems. Still been driving fine. Hopefully it was just a rock and has since dislodged.

that happens to my Tacoma now and then.

a rock/pebble literally gets up onto the wheel and spins around making squealing and/or grinding noise (picture a rock spinning around on you metal wheel)... and it happened to me on my way to up the local ski resorts in Winter too when there's a lot of gravel on the road.

when you checked under your car did you look for rock(s) on your wheels?

the first time it happened to me it damn near made me sh*t my pants... the noise is wretched

Does the issue go away if the vehicle is parked and idling or parked and turned off?

If it goes away because you are turning the vehicle off, then I'd definately look for a loose heat shield. The heat shield may only be rattling once warmed up and perhaps it takes a particular bump in the road/turn of the wheel/etc to get the noise started.

Yes, it does tend to go away when either in reverse or when the car is turned off and settles briefly.

So it sounds like the problem may be random with pebbles and whatnot, or could be a loose heat shield.

I'm no mechanic - can someone describe to me where the heat shield is located, what it may come in contact with, etc.? That way, if you think I can coach the dealer on what to look for, their diagnosis/fix can be more targeted.

Thanks, guy! I really appreciate it!

This sounds like a problem I have as well. Mine comes from the driver's side front wheel, I think. It eventually goes away only to return. The car drives fine and will stop on a dime. It is frustrating to not know if something is wrong or not. I'm going to take mine into the dealer since its still under warranty.

I posted over on Nasioc and they feel the same way that it's most likely just grit in the wheels/brakes and nothing to worry about. My question now is, as I prepare to head up the mountain again, do I just keep driving if it happens or should I pull over as soon as possible?

Looks like you guys with the pebble theory are probably right. The same problem happened twice this past weekend, both times when coming to almost a complete stop. Just a simple reverse action took care of the incident each time.

I'm just confused as to why this problem only happened now, and not the past 1 1/2 years I've had the car.

These are trips up to our local SoCal mountains. There is an abundance of pebbles on the ground - I'm not really sure why. Salt? Wearing of the asphalt?

Don't know about there, but local municipalities around here will use "traction grit" when there is light/moderate snow with frequent plowing. They try to avoid salt when the situation may bring heavier snow and low temps for fear of heavy ice. Once the snow stops/slows and there is chance to clear to the surface, they will use salt. Highways are always heavily salted/cal. chloride/plowed only.

At the end of the season, there is a near inch high pile of pebbles/mud dirt between the tire tracks on the back roads...takes a good month of spring rains to get the crap off. Lots of windshield replacements, paint chips.

Don't know about there, but local municipalities around here will use "traction grit" when there is light/moderate snow with frequent plowing. They try to avoid salt when the situation may bring heavier snow and low temps for fear of heavy ice. Once the snow stops/slows and there is chance to clear to the surface, they will use salt. Highways are always heavily salted/cal. chloride/plowed only.

At the end of the season, there is a near inch high pile of pebbles/mud dirt between the tire tracks on the back roads...takes a good month of spring rains to get the crap off. Lots of windshield replacements, paint chips.

That's probably it.

• 11 months later...
Thread revival. This pebble business is really starting to irritate me. It happens essentially any time I travel over loose gravel, causing the brakes to make this horrible grinding/screeching sound. This weekend I couldn't dislodge it by reversing and basically had to drive until the pebble was ground down enough to be spit out. Is there ANYTHING that can be done to prevent this? Does anybody else enounter this problem?

i got a noise that only comes when the brakes are hot. when i'm coming to a slow stop kinda riding the brake a bit i get a grindin noise. i brought to the dealer and they said it was the caliper after bout 5 times they said there was nothing wrong. finally they replaced it with a genuine caliper. its been bout three months and no noise

Took the car in to a brake shop today. They inspected it and, as I suspected, pebbles are getting caught between the shield and the rotor. The parts are all in functional order, so he recommended I carry a long screwdriver on me to give it a little nudge should another pebble get lodged. Really, Subaru? Really? You couldn't have designed a shield with a tighter seal? Come on!

Archived