LegacyGT.com

STI Pedals Better Than Stocks?

GULLABLE0NE

I constantly find my foot slipping off the clutch pedal. It happens when my shoes are dry, but in the rain (wet shoes) it gets very bad. At first i thought it was just my sneakers since they are a little worn but even with brand new sneakers, the pedal just seems slippery. My question is: does the STI pedal set have better grip than the stock pedals or are they only for show and +5 hp? and if not the STI pedals, what would you reccomend as a direct replacement?

I constantly find my foot slipping off the clutch pedal. It happens when my shoes are dry, but in the rain (wet shoes) it gets very bad. At first i thought it was just my sneakers since they are a little worn but even with brand new sneakers, the pedal just seems slippery. My question is: does the STI pedal set have better grip than the stock pedals or are they only for show and +5 hp? and if not the STI pedals, what would you reccomend as a direct replacement?

I found the same thing. The rubber nubs are what make the pedal slippery. I took a razor blade and trimmed the rubber nubs flush with the pedal. That cured the problem

STi pedals are awfully pricey to go and cut them up after you buy them. :)

There's lots of aftermarket offerings that don't have rubber nibs on them...

What's available for an 08 with the electronic 1 piece pedal? I was interested in the STi pedals as they're just a cover and nothing special is needed other than a little time in the driveway and a screwdriver.:lol:

STi pedals are awfully pricey to go and cut them up after you buy them. :)

There's lots of aftermarket offerings that don't have rubber nibs on them...

I did this to the pedals on my 08 Spec.B and it worked perfectly. I had the same problem with slippage. I am not familiar with STi pedals and if they are different than the stock Spec.B pedals

Well this thread is referring (I hope) to the STi aftermarket pedal covers.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/shop/images/products/stipedal.jpg

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/shop/cart_detail.asp?prod_cat1=Accessories

The actual Impreza STi has always had the same factory pedals as the WRX. The '08 to '09 STi may be different, but I don't think so.

• 6 months later...

I got the STi set for 2008 - 2009 models. Fits almost all Subies including my Outback. The brake pedal actually is screwed on and replaces the original. Very simple installation.

The accelerator pedal IS a cover and is installed on top of the original rubber pedal. It is kind of a pain to install, haven't done it yet, just the brake.

The instructions state you have to remove the bolts and linkage to the pedal. I don't think that is necessary. Seems like you can just mount it as is without having to disconnect anything. The top is held on by screws and a mounting braket behind the rubber pedal. I might get too lazy and just have the dealer do it.

I got the WRX - style dead pedal. Doesn't exactly match the STi pedals but close enough.

Doesn't look like there is a STi dead pedal available for our year. Those photos were for older Subies...probably waaaay too small.

D_J, I was thinking these ones from JapanParts....

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=18293

is that what you have?

I did the pedals on mine before. It's quite easy to remove the accelerator pedal. I think it's two 12mm bolts attached to the firewall, it will drop down and then just disconnect the harness and it is out. If you have a very long socket extension, it will make it a breeze.

What about disconnecting the harness? Can you do that by hand? Makes me nervous jacking with the the accelator linkage. I do happen to have 12mm socket at least.

NO DON'T GET THAT ONE. I wanted it too but it's for JDM/ right hand version only.

I just got the standard 08 - 09 set listed for Legacy/Outback from Exeter Subaru online shop w/ my Subie bucks

Basically you disconnect the acc pedal just to make it easier to install the cover?

You don't need to remove anything to install the gas pedal - just place it over the old one, line up the two holes on the sides with those on the stock pedal, and insert the provided bolt w/nut. The bigger your hands the more of a pita it is:)

*edit just saw you had an '09 - may be a different install procedure for you.

Just installed the gas pedal cover. It looks like the reason the instructions called for removal of the pedal was to fit the socket wrench on the side of the pedal. There is not enough space otherwise to tighten the retainer nut.

I just used the 5.5 mm socket without the wrench and drove the screw with hex wrench while holding the socket in place by hand.

The retainer plate was a pita - had to struggle to get it mounted on the back of the pedal while keeping it in alignment for the retainer screws.

Definitely no need to remove the gas pedal.

I can swear my OB seems faster now. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm... those look like what Subaru is offering as an accessory for the 2010 GT:

http://www.subaru.com/content/acc/C8110AG000/C8110AG000_LEG_W.jpghttp://www.subaru.com/content/acc/C8110AG010/C8110AG010_LEG_W.jpg

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/legacy/25gt-limited/accessories-options.html

I wonder if they're the same? I wonder if the 2010 Accessories will be a direct easy fit to the 2005-09

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I believe the 2008-2009 STi pedal set for Legacy/Outback was only recently made available. Probably will not have anything for the 2010 I bet for at least a year.

Much better than the stock rubber IMO.

Archived