LegacyGT.com

parking garage

hi guys,

figured id try and get some opinions on here first to see what my options are.

last night, as the parking attendant was getting my car, the other attendant backed into my car (front end), scraping the front bumper cover (possibly damaging that brace behind it as well), and scraping the hood (looks like the paint came off-i see silvery aluminum) about 3".

i got a damage report, and im going to call claims tomorrow (person in charge is on vacation), but is there anything i can do in the meantime, during my claims process, and afterwards? should i get my insurance co involved? i can live w/ the damage, as it is not too noticeable, but im worried about corrosion to the hood during the winter.

it was an nyc parking garage.

thanks vmuch.

hi guys,

figured id try and get some opinions on here first to see what my options are.

last night, as the parking attendant was getting my car, the other attendant backed into my car (front end), scraping the front bumper cover (possibly damaging that brace behind it as well), and scraping the hood (looks like the paint came off-i see silvery aluminum) about 3".

i got a damage report, and im going to call claims tomorrow (person in charge is on vacation), but is there anything i can do in the meantime, during my claims process, and afterwards? should i get my insurance co involved? i can live w/ the damage, as it is not too noticeable, but im worried about corrosion to the hood during the winter.

it was an nyc parking garage.

thanks vmuch.

Who gave you the damage report? My friend had the same issue here in new york and when he tried to contact the person he was told to contact they never responded. After a few weeks he went back to the garage and spoke to the guy who gave him the report and he denied it all. He ended calling his insurance and they told him that the deductable he has is 1000 dollars so if its more then that put in a clain if not dont. He ended up fixing it on his own but it sucks that things like this have to happen.

And to answer your question about corrosion you can do a few things touch it up on your own even if it is temporary or leave it. I dont think the hood is going to rot out for one winter.

Good luck adn keep us posted on the outcome!!

Who gave you the damage report? My friend had the same issue here in new york and when he tried to contact the person he was told to contact they never responded. After a few weeks he went back to the garage and spoke to the guy who gave him the report and he denied it all. He ended calling his insurance and they told him that the deductable he has is 1000 dollars so if its more then that put in a clain if not dont. He ended up fixing it on his own but it sucks that things like this have to happen.

And to answer your question about corrosion you can do a few things touch it up on your own even if it is temporary or leave it. I dont think the hood is going to rot out for one winter.

Good luck adn keep us posted on the outcome!!

the 'mgr' came out, but he had the cashier give me a form to fill out. she did take pictures. ive got a phone and claim # but im hoping my experience is different from your friend's. ill post pics once i get a chance.

one problem is they have signs posted all over the place saying that they are not responsible for any damages to bumpers. and we pay a $20 to park the car for 4 hours. and im the crazy one who always has to drive into the city.

I'm sure the rules are different when they're the one parking and delivering the car. Why would it be your responsibility when they're the one driving it?

:icon_cry: This is why I cringe when people suggest me driving into NYC. That really sucks man. Hopefully everything ends alright. As far as your concern about corrosion, I would be wondering also. My car was hit in a parking and there is a 2 inch long scratch that went through the paint. I've been wondering about it in the winter also.

Rub oil(WD40) into the scratch so it coats the metal. This oil and other similar products protect against corrosion. If you are worried about your paint. your going to get it painted anyway. If there is corrosion remove it first and then use oil. I use to do this with several times on my cars before i could go to the body shop. it worked. i left a few spots undone because i didnt noticed and the body shop had to bondo those areas. it was 86 Astro van. But those were steel body parts.

Rub oil(WD40) into the scratch so it coats the metal. This oil and other similar products protect against corrosion. If you are worried about your paint. your going to get it painted anyway. If there is corrosion remove it first and then use oil. I use to do this with several times on my cars before i could go to the body shop. it worked. i left a few spots undone because i didnt noticed and the body shop had to bondo those areas. it was 86 Astro van. But those were steel body parts.

so youre suggesting i rub wd-40 onto the aluminum hood scratch? clean w/ something beforehand? spray on directly/moisten dishrag/paper towel and rub?

and finally, suggestions on decent repair shops (not going thru insurance) in the area?

• 2 weeks later...

update: the garage referred me to a shop they send cars damaged on their premises. its called auto care east (autocareeast.com) on 243 e 94th b/w 2/3ave.

anybody have any past experience w/ them? do i need to have my car repaired there/at all? perhaps getting a check cut to me?

should i get my insurance involved? i dont want to be out of a car while theyre taking their sweet time. ill ask for a rental if i decide to get it fixed there.

I would be concerned about it because you know they will be getting the work done by the cheapest place they can find.

Personally, I would bring to my choice of body shop.

yep, thats what im going to do. theyre fine w/ paying for the repairs at the shop of my choice.

word. I've had a 3" scrape on my hood since I bought it in March.. no rust or paint issues around the damage..

your scrape is down to the aluminum (you can see silver metal)? thats good news for me since i can prob just take a check and not fix it up. dont really care about minor scrapes now.

your scrape is down to the aluminum (you can see silver metal)? thats good news for me since i can prob just take a check and not fix it up. dont really care about minor scrapes now.

Yup. I was worried until I saw that our hoods are aluminum.

the 'mgr' came out, but he had the cashier give me a form to fill out. she did take pictures. ive got a phone and claim # but im hoping my experience is different from your friend's. ill post pics once i get a chance.

Did you take pictures of the damage? I called my insurance company and took pictures of the damage after an accident. They were very helpful with the process, since they deal with this stuff on a daily basis. Also, I'm not too trusting of people's word since they can pull out at any time without any proof (i.e. police report). It's good that they're willing to pay for it, and I hope for the best for you.

• 3 weeks later...

update:

the parking garage asked me to get an estimate from a body shop they send all their damaged cars, so obviously they get volume discounts. the estimate i got was substantially lower than the original estimate i got (40% less).

is this basically my only option, to take whatever the garage gives me, or can i do something else? ive 2 other estimates that are all in the original price range before the parking facility's volume discount.

thanks

Archived