LegacyGT.com

Any EMT's or FD employees or volunteers, if so lemme see ur lights.

SpawnGT

not really. as a volunteer im legally allowed to have lights in order to make traffic aware that im either responding to the ambulance depot or that im responding to the scene of an emergency. in addition dependin on the color it designates to which kind of response team ur with.green means ambulanceblue means fire departmentred and blue means policeyellow means search and rescue mainly for i believe air force stuff

I think that would differ state by state.

For example, here in Ontario:

Red & Blue - police

Red - Fire or Ambulance or Police

Green - Volunteer Firefighter

Yellow - construction, tow trucks, etc.

Also, to my knowledge only volunteer firefighters are allowed green lights on their personal vehicles. The rest have to be mounted on government issued vehicles.

I think that would differ state by state.

For example, here in Ontario:

Red & Blue - police

Red - Fire or Ambulance or Police

Green - Volunteer Firefighter

Yellow - construction, tow trucks, etc.

Also, to my knowledge only volunteer firefighters are allowed green lights on their personal vehicles. The rest have to be mounted on government issued vehicles.

You know is funny...the yellow lights. that is like the "potpourri" color. In england i believe yellow (or orange) is for doctors, and here i know it means air force search and rescue but yes it also means construction, and tow trucks.

I knew a gent who was vol FF in college. I busted my eye trying to rebound with a guy straight out of greek myth -- no really, i was playing taps right after greek myth class, lol -- so he drove me to the ER. His light was on the front seat of his car; it was the teardrop kind you see detectives pop on the dash or reach up and mount in the movies, and just like mentioned above, it was blue. I laughed and asked if we'd be using it because of my condition (covered in blood). Until that point, I never knew they could have a light either, but makes perfect sense. That was in NJ.

I'm not sure about the legality of what your friend did in NJ. But on LI, its totally different especially with my squad.

We cant even DARE to turn on our lights (which are green) unless we have called the ambulance depot because they are looking for personal, and asked them if they need additional support or manpower from me, and then and only after they say yes number 1234 please come to the building from your location, only then can we turn our light on.

But even with our lights on we cant break any traffic laws, only cops are allowed to do that. I mean if its 4 in the morning and there is a respiratory or cardiac arrest in progress and you call in and get permission and you run red lights in a safe and smart way the cops wont stop you if you have a light flashing, because for the cop knows it could be his family member that we are responding to. But we cant use the lights to go to the ambulance depot because we forgot our jacket or wallet. This is only in respect to ambulance, not FD on LI

I'm a Federal emergency responder (I do healthcare disaster management) and I've toyed with the idea of having lights and siren installed in my POV, but haven't done it yet. But since this is work my vehicle:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/ajchenmph/Personal/Suburban.jpg

...I also don't have much incentive. :)

In my bag, I have three lights: the standard tear drop light for the front dash, an LED light for the front windshield, and a halogen light with mirrors for the rear deck. But I leave everything in the trunk and would only break them out if there was a bonafide national emergency in my area...

Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

Thats one sick whip.

Can you explain to me a bit more about this federal emergency responder, it sounds like something id be interested in partaking in as well. You can PM me that info if you'd like as well.

I'll post up in here.

I do this full time as an active-duty servicemember. Under the National Response Framework (administered by DHS/FEMA), there are multiple (i.e., 15) Emergency Support Functions. ESF-8 is Public Health and Medical Services, which is led by my department (Department of Health and Human Services). So anytime there is a disaster, we deploy and take teams and materiel with us -- Disaster Medical Assistance Teams, Disaster Mortuary Response Teams, National Veterinary Response Teams, etc. To borrow military jargon, I and my colleagues serve as theater commanders for all public health and medical services (including environmental health, epidemiology, etc.).

If you want to stay in Long Island (there are no Federal full-time jobs out there), your best bet is to sign on with a DMAT. PM me your email address and I'll put you in touch with one of the Deputy Commanders (who's based at North Shore-LIJ in her full-time job) and you can start the process. There are no official clinical roles for EMT-Bs, but you can still be on the team to do more support/administrative roles. If you're a medic, then there are positions as clinical care providers.

Be forewarned: you tend to deploy a lot (you get brought on as a temporary Federal employee -- so no benefits outside of your pay) and work in harsh, austere environments. The DMATs that deployed for hurricanes Gustav and Ike this past summer worked in very hot/humid conditions and sometimes took care of patients that were beyond the normal scope of care that they usually see (really sick ICU patients, etc.).

You can visit the National Disaster Medical System homepage here for more information.

Andy :) | My Whips :redface:

I entertained the idea of working for IEMA and Region 5 FEMA http://www.state.il.us/iema/ because my field of training is directly involved in this. I know the top people too; having spoken to them in both classroom and national & regional meetings. I seriously considered being a part time volunteer with IMERT http://www.imert.org/ but I got caught up with things and I put that on back burner. I know the top people as well. However, I am more interested in pursuing a gov. desk job at the moment.

I'll post up in here.

I do this full time as an active-duty servicemember. Under the National Response Framework (administered by DHS/FEMA), there are multiple (i.e., 15) Emergency Support Functions. ESF-8 is Public Health and Medical Services, which is led by my department (Department of Health and Human Services). So anytime there is a disaster, we deploy and take teams and materiel with us -- Disaster Medical Assistance Teams, Disaster Mortuary Response Teams, National Veterinary Response Teams, etc. To borrow military jargon, I and my colleagues serve as theater commanders for all public health and medical services (including environmental health, epidemiology, etc.).

If you want to stay in Long Island (there are no Federal full-time jobs out there), your best bet is to sign on with a DMAT. PM me your email address and I'll put you in touch with one of the Deputy Commanders (who's based at North Shore-LIJ in her full-time job) and you can start the process. There are no official clinical roles for EMT-Bs, but you can still be on the team to do more support/administrative roles. If you're a medic, then there are positions as clinical care providers.

Be forewarned: you tend to deploy a lot (you get brought on as a temporary Federal employee -- so no benefits outside of your pay) and work in harsh, austere environments. The DMATs that deployed for hurricanes Gustav and Ike this past summer worked in very hot/humid conditions and sometimes took care of patients that were beyond the normal scope of care that they usually see (really sick ICU patients, etc.).

You can visit the National Disaster Medical System homepage here for more information.

Even on CAR FORUMS the NRF haunts me!

:lol: What do you do?

I am a continuity/contingency planner for DHS/FEMA in the DC area.

I manage the exercise program under HSEEP for my facility, and sit on a national committee to update HSEEP and the associated training.

Gotcha. I work very closely with your regional office in NYC, since we handle all the ESF-8 stuff for Region II.

I work only with the National Capital Region. I love my job!

Archived