LegacyGT.com

another warranty question...please read

Searched and found some info but not exactly what I was looking for. I recently purchased a 05 LGT w/24K miles on the clock. Decided to get an extended warranty (6yr/72K mile)...meaning the car will be covered bumper to bumper from the date of purchase (or until 2014/96K miles). I figured since I will be keeping this car for a long time so better to be safe than sorry. I think I paid $1500 for the warranty. My question is I am starting to get those service reminders in the mail saying I am due for oil change (I do them myself...I put about 3-4K miles a year on my cars) and the 30K mile service that is due, plus all the other crap they try to get you for. If you do not have this work done by a dealership and warranty repairs are needed, will they not honor the warranty because the service was not done??? I always am afraid of dealerships doing work on my cars, have heard horror stories. I have had many cars and have always done the small maintenace on them, and thankfully never really needed any warranty work done ever. My wife has a 04 Forrester and has always had the dealership do all the required maintenance on the car...she just spent $800 on the 60K mile service:eek:...I almost crapped myself when she told me how much it cost. So my main question is the "required" service they want done..if it is not, will they not honor warranty repair??? :confused:

I will try and clear things up being i work for a Subaru dealer.

First and foremost, there is not an extended warranty that covers the car bumper to bumper despite what you are told by the seller. I have worked for Ford, Toyota and Subaru and have yet to ever deal with any.

Second, on the service records, it depends on what fails. If a failure occurs and it possibly maintenance related, you better be able to prove and show the maintenance was done and done correctly. I recommend to my DIY customers to buy their parts, write the date and mileage on the receipt and photocopy that. Staple that to the oil filter box top and you should be fine. Now if you buy in bulk, save the receipt and write the date and miles on the oil filter box top.

Third, regarding warranty denial, it is illegal to deny a warranty claim just because they chose to do their service elsewhere. There is nothing stating that you have to use the dealership. There are some good ones and some great ones.

Hope this info helps you.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I will try and clear things up being i work for a Subaru dealer.

First and foremost, there is not an extended warranty that covers the car bumper to bumper despite what you are told by the seller. I have worked for Ford, Toyota and Subaru and have yet to ever deal with any.

Second, on the service records, it depends on what fails. If a failure occurs and it possibly maintenance related, you better be able to prove and show the maintenance was done and done correctly. I recommend to my DIY customers to buy their parts, write the date and mileage on the receipt and photocopy that. Staple that to the oil filter box top and you should be fine. Now if you buy in bulk, save the receipt and write the date and miles on the oil filter box top.

Third, regarding warranty denial, it is illegal to deny a warranty claim just because they chose to do their service elsewhere. There is nothing stating that you have to use the dealership. There are some good ones and some great ones.

Hope this info helps you.

It does..thank you...but...are you saying the extended warranty I paid for and was told by the dealership it was full bumper to bumper for the specified time is bull??? How is that possible....

It does..thank you...but...are you saying the extended warranty I paid for and was told by the dealership it was full bumper to bumper for the specified time is bull??? How is that possible....

Extended warranties do not cover everything like the factory does. People will tell you anything to get you to buy it. Was it an SAS Policy? If it was I can ASSURE you it does not cover brakes, bulbs, wipers, seat covers, exhaust manifolds,etc.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Extended warranties do not cover everything like the factory does. People will tell you anything to get you to buy it. Was it an SAS Policy? If it was I can ASSURE you it does not cover brakes, bulbs, wipers, seat covers, exhaust manifolds,etc.

I need to go back and look at the info....the salesman made it a point to stress that this warranty worked exactly like the original (3yr/36K mile) bumper to bumper, the main reason why I opted for it. I appreciate the heads up...I will look over the info and if there is a problem I will surely call the dealership I bought the car from and ask questions. I will also check to see if it is SAS. Those stealerships will say anything to make a buck:mad:

I need to go back and look at the info....the salesman made it a point to stress that this warranty worked exactly like the original (3yr/36K mile) bumper to bumper, the main reason why I opted for it. I appreciate the heads up...I will look over the info and if there is a problem I will surely call the dealership I bought the car from and ask questions. I will also check to see if it is SAS. Those stealerships will say anything to make a buck:mad:

If you want, pm me the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can check to see if you do have an SAS policy with Subaru.

Archived