LegacyGT.com

Interior Color - Taupe vs. Charcoal

AWDFan

We have a '05 MT SWP wagon with the charcoal interior; it's unlimited so it's got cloth seats. Having seen the taupe interior photos posted by WhatV8, I'm glad we avoided taupe. We're always loading and unloading stuff, the seat rear backs are nearly always down. I imagine taupe would look pretty beat up by now, we've had the wagon four years.

I absoletely did not want a toupe interior, harder to keep clean, and have always liked dark interior...

But, I got a OBP with a taupe interior, and i absoletely love it. My car has no tint what so ever, and with the sunroof open, on nice days, the car feels so light and airy inside. I would defeintly buy another dark car, with a light interior...much happier i went toupe over black....

Worst part is the ugly fake wood, but that is easily fixed

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/bgraysierra/Legacy/6.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/bgraysierra/Legacy/Leggy018.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/bgraysierra/Legacy/Leggy019.jpg

I sanded, and Used Satin Black varathane...works great. I ahd ambitions to do the doors, but its doesnt bother me on the doors

A question and a comment:

How did you get the trim off? I'd like to do something like this on my '08 Legacy.

For others wanting to try this, you can also buy special auto interior trim paint at Eastwood Company. I had it for years on an older car and it never wore through to the original color.

A question and a comment:

How did you get the trim off? I'd like to do something like this on my '08 Legacy.

For others wanting to try this, you can also buy special auto interior trim paint at Eastwood Company. I had it for years on an older car and it never wore through to the original color.

the trip on AGR-LGT's car is a lot different than yours, the older leggy's have "matte" trim, and isn't glossed and normal looking like the newer ones, so its a lot easier for us... I wouldn't try to mess with yours if I had the gloss wood..

yea.. our "wood" trim is orange plastic with swirls of black on it. Fail.

I like taupe, harder to clean sure but I dont like black on black.. its depressing... and hot.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

All you do is pull upwards on the rear of the shifter boot bezel, remove that piece, then there are 2 bolts holding the bottom of the pieces on, remove, then pull pieces off...

I agree that the wood on the newer lgt's look alot better, but still look like crap

I like my SWP with taupe interior. I have the Subaru thick winter mats and aside from a coffee stain in the back on the carpet (under the floormat somehow) from the previous owner it is spotless. I clean it with Murphy's Oil Soap, keeps it in good condition without getting that shiny/greasy conditioned look.

Pros for taupe:

1. Doesn't get too hot in the summer sun.
  2. Light color works well with SWP (IMHO) and makes the cabin feel more spacious.

Pros for charcoal:

1. Easier to keep looking clean (?)

My biggest concern is the seats getting too hot in the summer sun, but I guess some tint would help that. How much does tint help with this? I've never owned a car with tinted windows.

I am also now thinkin

I don't get why anyone would get taupe interior in these cars. But people do. :confused:

I have two LGT wagons, SWP on black leather, and ABP on black cloth. With tint (moderate, only 35%) the black leather in not an issue in summer AT ALL.

And SWP on black looks total killer, very rare combo :wub:

And, actually, comfort wise, the cloth is far better than leather. Less maintenance as well.

I wont do black interior.. I'd rather not do it ever. I dont like charcoal or black or dark grey.. I prefer tans and lighter greys. dark colors are annoying.

+1 on window tint tho.. the black tops of my door panels dont get hot at all compared to my dash which could fry an egg in the summer.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

There will always be choices in our lives...availability could be the in between of having what we want the first time....As for myself I will be working on replacing my taupe carpeting with the color combination that I prefer, and of course a much more better quality material ...

My previous car was a taupe interior (01 Jetta). It looked great, but I was way to paranoid about getting the car dirty. Even with my extreme paranoia, I still would find that normal wear spots (door panels) would collect dirt that could not be cleaned. It frustrated me enough that I got rid of the car.

The fact that it was FWD and not very mod friendly didn't help either!

Now I can be working on my wife's car and if I got to run out for parts, it's no big deal if I have a little dirt on my hands. I hated whenever I did work on the Jetta and then had to get in the car. I got tired of finishing the job, then getting washed up and changed before I could take a test drive.

We have taupe in the Outback and dark charcoal in the Legacy. Both seem to be fine, although I'm with those who would prefer darker carpeting with the taupe. Back in 1981, I custom-ordered a Chevy Citation, then a very hot car (hard to believe!), especially with the desire for four-cylinder engines during the gas shortages of that period. We ordered the high-level interior, a camel-colored vinyl which we thought would be care-free. During the model run, GM suddenly changed the more expensive interior to a flannel-like cloth and, instead of camel, we got something that was a cream color, almost white. If you even looked at it hard, it would show a stain. I couldn't wait to get rid of that car -- for many reasons. The taupe is a dream come true by comparison.

After driving a car with a charcoal interior for eight years, I was seriously considering getting taupe for a change. However, after seeing a few at the dealer I changed my mind, and here's why.

First, the plastic parts show scuff marks more easily. I saw black shoe marks on the plastic parts near the footwell. The carpet looks like it would show grime more easily as well. (And I wouldn't be putting in all-weather floor mats).

Second, I've seen people with taupe leather and after a while it starts looking really dingy. Granted you should occasionally treat your leather, but it obviously looks like it's been used a lot. I've had my car for 11 months and so far my charcoal leather looks like new. I've been using Meguiar's leather treatment products.

Dust is more visible on the charcoal interior, but taking care of that is just a matter of wiping it with a cloth. I was also concerned about the dark leather being hot. My previous car was black with charcoal cloth and it was really hot after being in the sun all day, even with window tint and a sun shade in the windshield. My Legacy is Diamond Gray Metallic with charcoal interior and tinted windows. I'm not sure why this is, but with leather, it's never seemed hotter than my old car, even though is stands to reason that the opposite should be true. I suppose if you don't have window tinting, it may be a bigger deal. I remember when I was a kid my dad had a Cadillac with light gray leather, but that car didn't have window tinting and it was torture getting into that car during the summer, especially when you are wearning shorts.

The taupe interior has different color wood accents, and it does look richer to me, but I feel that charcoal was a better choice for me. Of course, it's totally dependent on what color car you want. If I'm correct, it's been a while since you've been able to select which color interior you want with the same exterior color.

Archived