LegacyGT.com

Interior Color - Taupe vs. Charcoal

AWDFan

After years of waiting, I'm finally almost ready to buy a turbo Legacy or Outback. I am now considering my options and so far have decided I want a wagon with 5MT, so that leaves the 2005 Legacy GT wagon or any Outback XT from 2005 on.

I've been waiting for my favorite color combo, SWP with taupe interior, to come up for sale again. But now I'm reconsidering whether taupe is the best choice. Here are some features as I see them.

Pros for taupe:

1. Doesn't get too hot in the summer sun.
  2. Light color works well with SWP (IMHO) and makes the cabin feel more spacious.

Pros for charcoal:

1. Easier to keep looking clean (?)

My biggest concern is the seats getting too hot in the summer sun, but I guess some tint would help that. How much does tint help with this? I've never owned a car with tinted windows.

I am also now thinking about the cleaning angle. I've really gotten into mountain biking in the last couple years and am concerned I'd get the car pretty dirty after a ride. When the trails are wet, I can get pretty muddy. :)

How do people with taupe interior keep the inside clean?

Subaru must be thinking about this too. I just noticed on www.cars101.com that the new Outback XT's with taupe interior have dark carpet.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1118812&postcount=96

I've driven 12000 miles in the last 2 years so I can't really speak for how to keep the interior clean.. :p I try to clean/condition the leather every 3 months though. I would suggest getting the weathertech liners or floor mats if you're concerned about putting your nasty shoes down on the taupe mats because as soon as you do that..they will be dirty forever! :p Other than that I would say rinse off before you get in from mountain biking :p

Eric

If you're worried about dirt on the seats, get a towel or washable blanket to cover them up when you're dirty -- then the taupe will help keep the car cooler.

Or, if you're worried about the charcoal seats getting hot, get a (white) towel or blanket to put over them when you're parked in the sun. Then you won't need the taupe.

I prefer it, actually, because we have a serious sun problem here, window tint notwithstanding. HPH

keep a microfiber towel in the car at all times and water. ;)

When you are dirty, get changed before getting in the car. :D

Also, window tinting will help keep your interior from drying up and looking old. Clean it every 2-3 months, dont forget to apply leather conditioner.;)

I have the taupe interior and like it alot. As said it does reflect more heat in the summer making for a cooler interior. I do what others have mention which is to clean and condition every so often. I don't find it an issue to keep clean with the exception of the taupe carpets.

I have the taupe interior and like it alot. As said it does reflect more heat in the summer making for a cooler interior. I do what others have mention which is to clean and condition every so often. I don't find it an issue to keep clean with the exception of the taupe carpets.

++

I think if given the choice I would choose charcoal of the two...it just looks much better. That said, I have taupe and really have no complaints about it at all. I think taupe/tan compliments a darker colored car quite nicely.

- Taupe is MUCH cooler in the summer months. Tint the windows and your car can bake all day in the sun, then you can sit right on the seats with barely any discomfort.

- I think that taupe is easier to keep clean. Sure.. a large spill/stain shows up easier, but small dust crumbs etc. etc., just blend right in and disappear. On charcoal....two days without a wipe down and you can see dust/particles all over the place. Same thing with the taupe carpet.

Thanks for all the good replies so far. It's nice to hear that some people don't find the taupe to be a real problem for long-term care.

I do already use a towel to cover the cloth seat in my current car after a bike ride, so it sounds like that is a good plan to continue. Also, I have some good rubber all-weather floor mats currently (the kind that are supposed to hold a gallon of water) and would definitely get some for the Suby. The removable factory mats are generally useless in my experience.

We've got 2 Subies. One with charcoal and one with a taupe interior. I though black would be brutal in the summer heat but, it's not. Black does show more dust on the dash and steering column.

The taupe looks beautiful and the leather is much softer than black but, the taupe carpet is a bitch to keep clean, even with mats.

We've got 2 Subies. One with charcoal and one with a taupe interior. I though black would be brutal in the summer heat but, it's not. Black does show more dust on the dash and steering column.

The taupe looks beautiful and the leather is much softer than black but, the taupe carpet is a bitch to keep clean, even with mats.

You wont get away from that with Taupe or Charcoal, the dash is black on both.

Looks like I have your 'wish' color combo, so here is my slant. Previous vehicle had a midnight blue interior (close to charcoal in darkness) and it showed every speck of dust/lint/pet hair/etc, but otherwise never showed any stains unless in direct sunlight. My current taupe interior hides everything except the dirt/mud that hit the light carpet. I haven't had any issues using some carpet cleaner as far as removing stains, so it is still tops in my book. Also, leather is easier to clean than cloth, just wipe clean and condition 1-2x per year.

The taupe interior definitely lends to a more open/airy interior feel than the charcoal, especially with the wagon's sunroof. Tinting the windows this past spring has me wondering why I ever waited so long to get one of my cars tinted. I went with 30% tint on all 7 windows and it really helped keep surface/interior temps down this past summer, more than expected (last pic).

I also run Weather Tech floor liners, which can likely hold way more than 2 gallons, if necessary. Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite. Good luck on your choice!

698410417_My06-Interior_Front_LH_20060426.thumb.jpg.b3f43b5d8119d49b26f8d70ed5c94fb0.jpg

2135843303_My06-Interior_Rear_Hatch_20060426.thumb.jpg.83b927121362fc7ba14686bd83dd49d9.jpg

1775936524_My06-Interior_WeatherTech_DriverFront_02_20070204.jpg.47da0afe66fd62cb483a589deb71f85c.jpg

488886017_My06-Interior_WeatherTech_PassRear_20070204.thumb.jpg.a4f2906024659e6e693205e430c9ec99.jpg

1500597840_My06-Exterior_Tint_Front34_LH_20080413.thumb.jpg.bb97892a176b41610f1fbc9337a00acf.jpg

i wanted the newport blue pearl but it only came with the light interior which would drive me nuts trying to keep clean. i settled on quartz silver mettalic which was my second choice due to the dark interior. my ideal car would've been the blue with dark interior but subaru doesn't let you mix and match so it is what it is.

i wanted the newport blue pearl but it only came with the light interior which would drive me nuts trying to keep clean. i settled on quartz silver mettalic which was my second choice due to the dark interior. my ideal car would've been the blue with dark interior but subaru doesn't let you mix and match so it is what it is.

thats the reason i got quartz silver metallic too. what i really wanted was the deep bronze exterior and charcoal interior. not many people like the bronze but it is definitly different and i like it.

darker interior/carpets tend to hide dirt...lighter color will let you know its time for cleaning & detail...you really have to decide for yourself... then again subaru colors concerning exterior/interior combination is limited....as for me I am happy with my taupe interior...looks gud with ABP exterior....

Hated taupe. Autoxer constantly carrying tires or having tire grime somewhere on me where I didn't notice it.

I can't imagine having taupe in an area that experiences a real winter.

Real winter = Chicago this year for sure! Just have to make sure you don't drag your feet across the small exposed area of carpeting between the rocker panel and mats. Also having leather allows you to clean the surface much easier than with cloth.

To keep your interior clean get some cheap tire bags from Ikea (they were like $4/tire a couple of years ago) or get a little trailer to stack them in and tote along. I have seen a lot of folks with that trick at the track.

• 2 weeks later...

I have charcoal. I had many of the same concerns you did.

Looks: Personally, I do like the looks of the taupe interior with white exterior...classy looking. However, I think the charcoal is more "sporty" looking. Taupe looks more "BMW luxury looking", charcoal more "mean sports car" IMHO.

Heat: Was worried about both heat in the summer, and leather being too cold in the winter. In a moderate climate (e.g. not Huston TX), I have found neither to be an issue (not too hot (maybe perferation helps), and not too cold (whip on the seat heat and in one minute no problem).

Cleanliness: Black does show light colored dirt or pet hair more (obviously) but a good thing is it doesn't show scuff markes from shoes, boots, or tires, or mud and grime like I imagine taupe would. I haven't had problems with my charcoal, other than the white dog hair in the black carpeted rear compartment from the previous owners dog!

My 2 cents: Get what appeals to you looks-wise more.

I live in South fla where it gets insanely hot in the summer. Was concerned about the charcoal (dark interior) in my Leggy. Turns out the outside color has much more to do with interior temps than interior color. It is more than reasonable if you have tinted windows and use a front windshield cover. So much easier to clean and looks great. As above I wanted the blue but couldn't digest the thought of light interior

I got the taupe because I wanted a change of scenery. My dad had charcoal in his Ram, which I drove for over two years. I also got a set of black Subaru all weather mats. Looks awesome with the interior. The black interior is ok, but its just too bland/dark for me. To clean everything, I just get a bucket of warm water and a bottle of Resolve, and I go around scrub all of the interior. Works wonders.

Taupe IMO is just too hard to keep up with. I have an OBP LGT with black leather interior and it gets just as hot as my mom's white Camry with taupe interior in the summer here in Texas. Maybe its not as bad elsewhere or its a mental thing but leaving a car in the Texas sun(94+*) for 8 hours is pretty much the same for everyone IMO.

Taupe is also like interior carpet, it stains from everyday use.Charcoal hides it.

Archived