LegacyGT.com

To all you light/led gurus out there...I challenge you...

CRAZY KEN

...to design/make/retro/fabricate something to make our darn reverse light brighter!

Whoever can come up with the best design and ships it to me gets a FREE Sirius in-car reciever,

Basically, reverse lighting solution for FREE Sirius in-car receiver (BRAND NEW!!!)

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

itsme...been trying 3-4 different types...from 5-LEDs to 12-LEDs...all of them were POS! Next...nice try BTW!

dudeondacouch...I have a sedan not a wagon or a baja...that wont look too OEM...It's gotta off-roadish kinda tone!

CRAZY KEN

next...this is a tough challenge!

hmm....tempting. I've thought about this or doing something like this before...though I haven't really looked at the reverse lights yet. I'd have to check it out and get back to you on that. Maybe some small circuit board with a series of LEDs, would be able to plug in to the same plug? hmm..

or this:

http://www.putco.com/product/led_replacement_bulbs/part/233156W

...fitting in a H3 bulb in there...Sylvania ULTRA Silverstar!!!

Muhahahaha ;) !

CRAZY KEN

BTW, here is the prize. Remember someone has to build/send it to me in working condition. MUST USE OEM housing or retro fit it in the oem housing. No auxilary installed lighting that makes it look like an offroad vehicle!

Here is the prize:

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

CK -

Have you tried the ERD that TRS cued us in on?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96671&highlight=921

BTW, I wouldn't recommend the ERF option, unless your use is *very* sporadic ... Mitch had issues with heat, and from his experience, he'd only recommend less-than 30-second "burst" usage of that hot a bulb. I'd have taken that pair of ERFs off Mitch, if my reversing tasks took less than 20 seconds per burst, but alas, with the way my driveway/garage is configured, I need more time.

Also:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31502&highlight=921

Since your application/aim-of-project is different, check out my post #7 in that thread above. I wonder if that "5W" application (actually a 3W, plus some ancillary stars), may be what you're looking for. I had concerns, for my rear-fog application, of running the star constant-on, which would likely not have been feasible, so I scrapped that possibility. But for your momentary-use, that might be very do-able.

You'd have to do some trimming of the factory housing, to get the 1156 to fit (it's easy - trust me, I did the same for my JDM tail's rear-fog project), and also re-wire the harness and get a new base-plug.

My only true fear would be that, in the reverse-light application, whether even that "5W" solution would throw enough light, particularly off-axis. It says that it's a side-firing, but I still don't know, particularly compared to a high-powered halogen solution, such as the ERD.

Maybe you really need to shove a set of aftermarket fogs - optics/reflectors included, in the stock housing..... that's going to be a pretty big undertaking, though.....

I don't want a prize. :) I just want to help. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ ROFL. :lol:

Seriously, no prize needed. I'm just glad to help. :)

Be careful with the ERFs - I saw you posting to Mitch's old thread. Remember, he didn't feel any warmth forward of the bulb, but the plug end melted enough to cause one of his bulbs to fall out, and the other had scorch marks.

While the replacement wiring harnesses at that location is cheap (less than $15, shipped, IIRC, each - I purchased a set to toy around with, in the various different iterations of my rear-fog project), setting your car on fire would not be cool, nor would be damaging the housings themselves, which would be pricy.

I almost wonder if a self-fashioned heat-shield just aft of the bulb, between its base and plug/socket, could relieve some of the heat concerns....but honestly, I don't know, as I would imagine that the base of the bulb itself would be what's getting hot, too, given that it's almost "integral" to the bulb body.

The ERD should be fine, given on our collective experiences, starting with TRS, but at the same time, as with TRS and others who use this solution, I'm being honest in saying that yes, you'll definitely notice a difference, but no, it's not something that's going to be "day and night."

Hope you find what you're looking for! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

No way, no holes!

You've gotta get it its own Int3rFool3r, FMFTJDMW, yo! :lol:

Archived