LegacyGT.com

Problems starting the car

smack

I've looked around and havent found the answer to my problem since i dont really know what it is. I have a viper remote start installed at best buy, DDM hids w/ battery harness installed, cai, and lightweight crank pulley (only listed mods that may be related to my problem).

About a week ago i was at a friends house for a few hours on a cold night, when i tried to leave my car wouldnt start for atleast 10 minutes, using the remote start or by putting the key in the ignition. Now about every 5th time i start my car it takes me a few tries for it to work. My car had only not started on me twice in the year ive had the remote start, before installing the HIDs, before it happened last week. When the key is turned in the ignition the lights inside the car would flash and then the car would turn off. My battery had some slight white corrosion around the tie down but i cleaned it off.

Any idea of what the problem is?

My remote starter has a secondary switch that can disable the entire system. Does yours and might this be in the wrong position?

My switch is a simple toggle swithc on the lower portionof the dash, of course, yours if you have one and I suspect you do, could be anywhere.

In my case, you could accidentially disable remote start by knocking the switch. I admit, it's a stretch to believe this might affect starting the engine with the key.

I agree, back to BB, let them re-check their wiring and connections. Ugh, a non-dealer installed mod, good luck if you need to go to the dealer.

no switch on mine, there should be though. Another thing is that when my car wont start the clock and radio stations reset. No one knows what it is.

In a way, that might be good. That looks like a total power failure not just power to igniton system.

Did the upgrade also include an alarm with some sort of vehicle immobilizer?

I also wonder if you can easily bypass the remote starter and see if the trouble persists.

• 4 weeks later...
i think who ever installed your remote start, didnt install it correctly

I think i am going to have to agree with you. I thought that the problem was the battery but i cleaned off the corrosion and now the battery still looks good as new, then i thought it was the battery harness for the HIDs were messing something up but i took it out and now have the plugnplay set up and the car still wont start every 10th time or so. Which is annoying because i can unlock or lock the doors after the car wont start for about 5 minutes. Also the saves radio stations reset and so does the clock. So i guess my best bet is to go back to best buy and let them check it out?

I think i am going to have to agree with you. I thought that the problem was the battery but i cleaned off the corrosion and now the battery still looks good as new, then i thought it was the battery harness for the HIDs were messing something up but i took it out and now have the plugnplay set up and the car still wont start every 10th time or so. Which is annoying because i can unlock or lock the doors after the car wont start for about 5 minutes. Also the saves radio stations reset and so does the clock. So i guess my best bet is to go back to best buy and let them check it out?

Shot in the dark...if you have a volt meter, see if your alternator is overcharging your system. I've seen this a few times before with the same problems you're having. Your regulator may be dead and an overcharged battery will mess with your starting system.

Do you have any electrical mods.. IE grounding kit? The problems could be coming from a loose ground somewhere.

Lastly, with the Viper, if you lose power (IE taking your battery out) will your alarm sound as soon as it's reconnected? If it does sound when you connect it and not happening now, it is the viper cutting your power.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks im going to have the try that when i get the chance, another question i have is that could the electrical system/battery be affected if the lightweight crank pulley is not on tight enough or on too tight? Just trying to go through all possibilities before taking it somewhere.

Archived