LegacyGT.com

dash lights acting up

so my battery light, stop lamp light, and at oil temp light keep flashing on and off randomly (there is no constant sequence). its usually after i have driven it about 5 miles that it starts acting up.

i checked and replaced the battery since i needed a new one anyways. so i know the battery is good, i checked the voltage on the alternator both by myself and by a tech at walmart. the full system test came up good, and the test i did myself read 13.2 volts from the cigarette lighter. so i know the alternator is good and stays consistant throughout driving.

i plugged in the diagnostic plug located under the steering column and the "check engine" light flashed 7 times quickly with a second in between and then would repeat.

is there a chart somewhere where i can find out what that means? any ideas of what could be causing this?

thanks guys,

-bill

dose it happen when you hit the brakes also???

my 91 legacy was doing the same thing, it came down to replacing the alternator, all techs and codes said it was fine but it wasnt, i replaced it and it stopped flashing those lights. or see if you can tighten your belt.

• 1 year later...

Looks like I've got something similar going on with my car. It's a 1990 Legacy just replaced the alternator because it was not charging the battery and it failed the alternator test at the auto parts store both in and out of the car.

After replacing the alternator and driving about 500 miles the battery, stop lamp, and at oil temp lights came on. When I got home I turned off the car and on again and they were not on but this morning when I started the car they had come back on. Also I found that my headlights would not turn on.

I guess I could have gotten a bad alternator. I'll check that after work today. Any other ideas what might be wrong?

Archived