LegacyGT.com

Fluctuating Brighness Of the Clock / Temp Display

Has anyone experienced this problem?

The display where the clock and tempurature is intermittently gets brighter and darker. It is very noticable at night. It is almost like pressing the button that makes the display brighter,

I tried doing some searches on this but I haven't seen anything.

Thanks for the help!

Check the gauge brightness dial. I've heard of it getting stuck in an in between position so it is flickering between two settings. You'd probably see the indicator going between something like ILL5 and ILL6 too. Just move the dial up and down and you should be good.

I've also had my volume knob do the same thing...

Check the gauge brightness dial. I've heard of it getting stuck in an in between position so it is flickering between two settings. You'd probably see the indicator going between something like ILL5 and ILL6 too. Just move the dial up and down and you should be good.

I've also had my volume knob do the same thing...

I was about to post the same info. Curious though why do we need 2 buttons for instrument panel brightness...the dial and then the trip computer display ? And why the windshield wiper de-icer is on the left, by the side mirror adjuster and not on center console...or even better why not hooked up together with the windshield-mirror de-icer. Oh...cause I bought a Subaru and not God's greatest gift for mankind... I will live though...

Do our cars have an ambient light sensor? Seems like I remember seeing one on the dash. If so that might be faulty. If it was the illumination dial being stuck your odometer would also read "ILL 1-6" or something like that.

I believe that is a sun sensor for the automatic climate control. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Curious though why do we need 2 buttons for instrument panel brightness...the dial and then the trip computer display ?

The button on the dash sets the gauges to normal daytime brightness. It's handy on cloudy days that you want your lights on, but don't want the gauges to dim.

• 2 years later...
I am also having this issue with my radio/climate control. They flicker between completely dim & bright settings only when my lights are on. Would this be a grounding issue even though the illumination never goes black, but rather just between the two settings?

Do our cars have an ambient light sensor? Seems like I remember seeing one on the dash. If so that might be faulty. If it was the illumination dial being stuck your odometer would also read "ILL 1-6" or something like that.

I had this happen to me this weekend. The center console lights started to flicker and the odometer started to flash "ILL.5" I'll have to check the postion of the illumination knob.

I was about to post the same info. Curious though why do we need 2 buttons for instrument panel brightness...the dial and then the trip computer display ? And why the windshield wiper de-icer is on the left, by the side mirror adjuster and not on center console...or even better why not hooked up together with the windshield-mirror de-icer. Oh...cause I bought a Subaru and not God's greatest gift for mankind... I will live though...

I wouldn't want the windshield de-icer hooked up to anything. I have only used them a few times and it doesn't work well. I have only used them once or twice.

I found in heavy snow it caused the snow to melt, turn to water, go below the de-icer, and immediately re-freeze. Then it built up, and the wipers wouldn't go all the way down!! Also, the ice started to freeze to the wipers faster than I think it would have if the wipers were cold :)

I had to stop several times and remove the buildup during a 15 minute drive. Of course it was snowing like crazy but still. I would GLADLY trade the windshield wiper de-icer for heated windshield fluid and heated headlight sprayers. Much much more useful IMO.

I am also having this issue with my radio/climate control. They flicker between completely dim & bright settings only when my lights are on. Would this be a grounding issue even though the illumination never goes black, but rather just between the two settings?

This happens as well to me, along with the ILL5/6 swap in the cluster (unrelated issues). I KNOW that it is NOT related to me touching the switch, or anything like that. I'm not sure what causes it. It usually flickers for 30 seconds or so and then goes back to normal. I'm afraid of it crapping out eventually :rolleyes:

Archived