LegacyGT.com

OTS AP Stage 2 Map Sufficient?

GULLABLE0NE

I will be running a Perrin tmic, AVO panel filter, and Invidia catted DP. I would be using a stage 2 91 octane OTS map, is that sufficient or should i spring for the protune? I plan to later add lightweight pulley, and short ram intake of some kind. should I run the ots stage 2 map and wait for the additional parts then go protune? a little advice here guys!!

OTS will get you close but pro will get it spot on. With the mods you mention, go OTS to begin with. Learn the power and delivery of the power while saving money for parts and protune.

Either way, OTS or Protune, you want to log it and have those logs analyzed for issues. No OTS is perfect, but on some cars, they can be unsafe. The same goes for a Protune, just because a guy has the software to protune, doesn't mean it'll be a good tune. I've been Protuned, only to find that I was running leaner, with -KC, and with less timing advance then before. It happens.

Always, always, always, always datalog your car after tuning it.

Did I mention that you always want to datalog after tuning?:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I have almost the exact same mods as you (Perrin catted DP instead of Invidia) along with a MR catback and just got a protune last week. The Cobb Stage 2 map was ok, but I was actually a little let down with the gains going from Stage 1. Yes I could feel it, but I was expecting more. I then got an e-tune map from Tuning Alliance for my mods and that was a little better still. The protune is in an entirely different league. The car feels a lot stronger throughout the powerband than either the Cobb OTS map or the TA map. I agree with the guys above an say you should go with the Cobb OTS map for now and save up your money to get the intake and then a protune. After that you should be very happy with it.

Either way, OTS or Protune, you want to log it and have those logs analyzed for issues. No OTS is perfect, but on some cars, they can be unsafe. The same goes for a Protune, just because a guy has the software to protune, doesn't mean it'll be a good tune. I've been Protuned, only to find that I was running leaner, with -KC, and with less timing advance then before. It happens.

Always, always, always, always datalog your car after tuning it.

Did I mention that you always want to datalog after tuning?:)

Since this is kind of on-topic, I'll post here. Rallitek's deal with 10% off, free shipping and free canned pro-tune is really getting at me, even though I told myself since this is my 1st new car to leave it alone. But anyway, I have an 08 5MT. What will I need to log if I bite and go for it? Somewhere I thought I read you can't use Windows Vista (which I have at home) and the logging program. I don't want to go out and buy a crappy laptop just to data log.:spin:

I just got the AVO TMIC from Rallitek. They had a deal where they sent an etune map for the AP2 after asking about my mods (free of charge). The map has a boost of 18psi tapering to 15psi at redline. Very happy with the map. Far better than Cobb OTS. I was thinking about paying the 150 for the PDX map but the map they made for my setup with the AVO TMIC makes it unnecessary. +1 for Rallitek maps and service.

Archived