LegacyGT.com

Price for rear brakes?

I'm a DIY type, but maybe this'll help a little ... I paid about $60-70 for the pad

kit from subaruparts.com, took me an hour or two to install 'em (I was working

very deliberately and carefully, I can't imagine the "official" time would be more

than an hour, but who knows), and I didn't mess with the rotors.

This is my old car ('97 Outback, not the one listed in my profile), which has 160K

miles, I have replaced front pads twice and rear once, and I've NEVER once messed

with the rotors (replaced them, or even had them "turned") and the brakes work

great.

Check out the auto parts stores on line like advance auto parts. There are a lot of different pads you can buy.

I like ceramic pads, the wheels stay cleaner. Bendix is a good brand. I think there like $50.00 ?

You can take two 8mm bolts and thread them into the two holes in the rotors to remove them from the hub. You'll nee to remove the whole caliper first, There are 2 bolts with 14mm heads behind the backing plate that holes the calipers on. Re install with anti seize compound. Then take the rotors to a machine shop and have them turned, should be about $20.00 each or less.

If you pay a shop plan on at least $200.00.

Brakes are easy if you have all the tools, I do.

Here

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Brakes.aspx

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Brakes are easy if you have all the tools, I do.

I'd add that the disc pads can be changed with the most basic of

mechanics tool sets - unless, possibly, you feel you need to pull the

rotors and have difficulty doing so. As I said, I've never felt the

need to pull my rotors, but I've always changed my pads before

they wear too far down.

Good to hear you've had good luck without turning the rotors. I have always had them turned, except for last Fall when I noticed the inside pads were thicker then the outside pads. So I swapped them to even out the wear. They worked fine all last Winter, no noise.

I have since put new rotors that I bought from a member here and bendix ceramic pads all around and Litespeed slotted disc on the front.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Archived