LegacyGT.com

Was my oil JUST changed?? I think NOT. (Need quick input please)

To say people make mistakes is fine, but dealerships DO try to swindle as much money as they can get away with from customers.

blanket statement. total BS.

sure some are devious. vast majority are not.

remember, former Yamaha dealer here.... sure we had dealers that i would NOT take any of my toys in for work. Even the guy we sold too... such a prick. he doesn't screw the customer, he's just an ass...

but to say that all dealers are crooks.... BS.

Yamaha corporate was told about a dealer that was screwing customers over in the service dept. i think they had like 2-3 complaints from customers. Yamaha sent out a tech posing as a customer to catch the dealer.... and they did. they were closed down THAT afternoon... Yamaha pulled their dealership on the spot.

if you think a dealer is stealing or being crooked like you say... turn them in... posting about them online means nothing. call the BBB, call corporate.

back up the claim they are bad, anecdotal ramblings online mean nothing.... sadly thats what 99% of people do, they would rather bad mouth the dealer to friends than actually do something about it.

Now my Sister just bought a laptop sunday from Office Depot.

get this... they told her that she needed to buy this $99 plan. It includes taking off the "trial software". cause... if she would take it off herself... it would void the warranty. :lol:

sad thing.... they gave her a HP paper that said this....

she called me from the store, I could hear here telling the salesman that "i'm not sure, but i think his laughing means you are full of shit"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I called SOA about a dealer that tried to defraud them by falsely stating they replaced parts (under warranty) they did not. You think something happened to the dealer? :lol:

thats a little different than if the OP would have gone back to the dealer, and the dealer would have told him "sure i'll change the oil again... and charge you for it" admitting no wrong.

OP calls SOA, tells the story, the dealer response. explains the pictures etc.

Sure, SOA wouldn't come out and do much to the dealer. but trust me, the dealer would be on the shit list for SOA. I bet if that happened, and he called SOA. he'd get a call back from the dealer saying to bring the car in for a free oil change.... if not more.

his Vin# would be flagged (possibly, Yamaha did this) every time ANY work was done at a Subaru dealer, SOA would CONTACT the dealer to verify the work, and a day or so later call the OP to get his story about the work.

Yamaha did this, we would get calls from time to time on some customers that claimed to have problems with other dealers. those things add up, at some point Yamaha would say enough. we had one against us, not a good thing to have on your record. Customer was an assh... he tried doing it later with another quad of his to another dealer. Yamaha caught on, needless to say he lost his case.

what you are saying, could be taken as I want a cookie for turning in a dealer. Sure things like that add up also, and i bet it's written down somewhere, so eventually that may come up between the dealer and SOA. maybe not the call that gets an investigation started, but as long as the person on the other end believes your story it's in a file on that dealer.

OP:

I do all my own maintenance and live in a garage-less townhome. I changed my Subaru oil in 30 minutes on November 25th when it was 27 degrees outside and didn't get a drop of oil on me....Multiple latex gloves and a plastic cup over the oil filter when loosening. I used quality synthetic oil and a good purolator PureOne oil filter and it cost me $25. I could do to the dealer and "avoid getting cold" but spend another 90 minutes making the appointment, driving them, waiting, and driving home. But for me I know it was done right.

I buy my oil in bulk, same as filters. So I don't have an individual receipt for every maintenance item. I keep an excel file log and I've started writing the date and mileage of the oil change on the filter using a sharpie. If a dealership says that's not good enough, I'll challenge them and tell them I'll do an oil analysis on my dime even on an engine with a problem showing that the oil has plenty of active additive left and is within the appropriate viscosity range. I'm doing 3500 mile oil changes with synthetic for chrissake....even if the turbo failed, that oil would look great (albeit with more metals in it).

On dealers....

My local Honda dealer is world-class. Annoyingly so. They left a message on my voice-mail wishing me and my family a happy thanksgiving. I avoid them like the plague (I hate people touching my car), but when I do take it to them they are fantastic.

My 2 local Subaru dealerships (Rafferty and Concordville) are both sleazy in the sales department.....the Rafferty dealership laughed me out (literally, multiple people) when I said I had a written offer for an LGT 5-speed for $25,000 in March of 2008. 2 weeks later I bought the LGT 5-speed, brand new, for $24,500. The Concordville dealership told me (sales manager and salesman) and my wife that we had to place an order within 24 hours and that was the last order for 2008s (again, this was in early March). I placed my order 1 week later with the right dealership....a member of this forum.

Rafferty charged my in-laws about $650 for services they didn't even ask for....including stuff that wasn't done. (like $150 of inspections)....they had to go and complain and then it magically moved down to like $400.

I treasure trusted service providers. But they are few and far between. Whether dealership or independent.

I think the same thing about healthcare providers.

Ironically, I've heavily involved in healthcare and automotives. Maybe knowledge leads to mistrust :)

Joe

My experience using dealers in the last 23 years of driving has been the GM dealers were not great, Honda dealers (5 in three different states over 12 years) were all great, and I am now on my 2nd Subaru, and my second dealer. The first was pretty awful, but the dealer I am with now is terrific. $24.95 for an O/C and am and in and out in 45 minutes or less every time....for that price it ain't worth doing myself. They have been great for warrentee work, and resonable with maintenence.

My point is, you can't throw all dealerships in one boat, the good one's will get your business and you're likely to purchase another car from them. The bad...well, they are the one's closing up shop these days...

:lol:

most that have positive exp. with dealers

your lucky

here in Pittsburgh most will cheat

and it goes past the dealers

the larger repair shops cheat

its so bad I have nightmares taken the suby in for anything ,even a light change.

pep boys quote

same tires as from dealer

328 versus 510

I can go on and on with 25 years worth

last one from a client reported his racing computer replaced at dealership with a low end one. manager could not find the tech who did the work

looked for 3 days WTF

I mark everything and look at everything that they say is bad

my background, machine repair for 20 years,I know bad rotors when I see them

Just be aware that when you take your car to the workshop in some countries you may get it back "slightly modified" just because the mechanic thought it was a good idea to have a start button instead of the key start...

But I think that some of the problems that some brands have are the dealers that doesn't treat customers right. Be nice to the customer, and be available. (OK as a customer I will realize if you as a seller is busy with some problem, but having coffee isn't being busy). And don't push the customer, he may just be out probing the market. (There is a difference between something you wish to have and something you need to have.)

And don't forget to take good care of the problems the customer have. That will give you a returning customer.

453747.png

:lol:

last one from a client reported his racing computer replaced at dealership with a low end one. manager could not find the tech who did the work

looked for 3 days WTF

forgot to mention the car was there for a front end alignment not a tune up or anything related to the motor controller

they just wanted to steal the special controller

• 4 weeks later...
Not clear if you are checking the engine oil prior to a stone cold start. However the impurities will collect on the dipstick making it quite dark although it looks suspect for 30 miles old.

^Right here is the BS story you will get when you go back. :lol:

Archived