LegacyGT.com

Odd noise on low speed braking

Looking for anyone who has experienced and fixed an odd 'grinding' noise when brakes are applied at low speed (around 40 to 0 mph in my case seemingly only from the driver side front wheel). I have replaced the factory pads with Hawk HPS and the noise is still present. Allowing the car to slow to a halt without braking doesn't present any noise so I do not think it is the bearing. It is almost like one of the pads is not clamping fully and making a metallic metal-on-metal swishing noise as the car slows. I do not notice any vibration when braking that would denote a warped rotor. I have never heard this from any other car I've owned and it is an annoyance. Please comment with your experience and suggestions!

* The car is under warranty but I am fearful of the work the stealership performs after they manhandled my TMIC replacing the turbo oil supply line grrr...DIY FTW!

I know the noise you are talking about.Mines started to make a similar noise about two weeks ago.With 38,000 on the factory pads I figured the linings were thin but they have about 5-6/32's left.

It only makes the noise when it sits for 3or more hours or overnight.It's not the accumulation of rust that is typical of most rotors that goes away after to drive a block or two.But they way it sounds is exactly like the lining is gone and it's meteal-to-metal...but then it stops after a half-dozen firm stops.I will rack it on my lunch break and take a look again.

I am pretty sure I have experienced the same symptom. It first occurred with the factory pads and rotors. The noise is most common when I do a lot of slow speed driving with frequent, intermittent stops. As the car approached 45k ('05 LGT Wagon), I replaced the pads with Hawk HPS pads and had the rotors turned.

Surprisingly, the noise returned one day, even after the install of the new pads and re-surfacing of the rotors. Strangely, it has gone away and has not come back yet.

I wondered if there was residual metal (filings) on the rotor that got burned into the pad surface and then created a metal on metal sound. Possible?

Like I said, it has since faded, but every time I brake now I am neurotically waiting and listening for the sound to come back.

I would love to hear some other opinions on this.

Well,it isn't the pads.It has gone from the grinding/crunching sound when cold ..to the speed sensitive scraping sound when hot....no doubt mine is the front wheel bearing.This is the same sound it made when the left front bearing went bad.Now the only problem is how many times I will have to take it to the dealer before they finally hear it or agree to hear it.

Good luck

My brakes make this sound once in a while too. It's nothing to be concerned about...it goes away. Probably just small brake deposits that will grind off shortly after being deposited. I'm sure rebedding would help too, but is overkill for this minor, temporary nuisance. Rebedding is more for solving the problem of brakes that pulsate from a lot of deposits.

Archived