LegacyGT.com

Tail Lights O5 lgt

Hey guys, Does any one kno how to take out tail lights on a 2005 LGT, I am looking to smoke them with a gloss spray that came out great on a friends car. If anyone knows how to take them out, and the tool sizes it would be a great help!... i ll take pictures too!

I have no proof of this, but standard procedure for most sedans would be to go in through the trunk.

there is a door by each taillight on the sedan. Inside you SHOULD find wing nut style screws that hold them in place.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Sup Sparta NJ, I'll be riding at Mountain Creek pretty soon, we should meet up, your ride looks pretty :cool:.

+1 on the access through the trunk, you'll need to pull back the fabric liner to access the bolts. :)

It's really easy. You have to take out the little net hook by turning it 180 degrees or just simply turn it around until it pops out. Then you have to take out the 3 pop-its with a flat head screw driver, to make it easy... when you are pulling back the trunk lining, see which ones get in your way and whichever ones do, just unscrew the pop its. Now you would have enough room to work with inside. Then you're going to see the wiring attached to an orange plastic piece on top of a bolt or two. You just have to take a flat head screw driver, play with them and pop them out. Then take an 8mm wrench and take out the 3-4 bolts and just wiggle the light out. =) It's a lot easier than other cars. And if I were you, don't spray them, just buy actual window tint from home depot or lowe's and stick that on. I'll post some pictures of mine up later. Hope this helps!

I've been wondering about that. Window tint is traditionally designed for the INSIDE of a window. Wont using a film tint weather poorly?

It depends on how you do it. I have done it twice without taking out the tail light and it will peel from the sides. The last time I did it, I took out the tail light, wrapped it around and the excess window film I had around the light, I taped it down like a madman. If you don't cut out the reverse part like I did, it should stay with no problems. But for now, I see very few bubbles forming in the part where I cut out the reverse light part. It looks sick, and I get tons of compliments along with people asking me where I had gotten it done. And as for the window film, its not tint, its static cling, so it just "clings" onto the tail light and all you have to do is spray some windex on it, leave it on, and push out the bubbles with a credit card. You don't necessarily have to put windex on it to push out the bubbles, it just acts as a protectant so it won't scratch the film while you're pushing out the bubbles with a credit card. You could always just do it straight on also. Make sure you take out the tail light, clean it with windex, wipe it off, and THEN put on the film because it works the best on a clean light like that. On some cars it won't work simply because of the shape. I hope this helps!

In regards to using the 3m film for tinting... When you remove the light to stretch the film, how do you hold it well enough to put the required force on the film without damaging the housing? I did the film once and had it lift as you're describing but have more film and would like to try it again...

Thanks for your time.

In regards to using the 3m film for tinting... When you remove the light to stretch the film, how do you hold it well enough to put the required force on the film without damaging the housing? I did the film once and had it lift as you're describing but have more film and would like to try it again...

Thanks for your time.

I didn't use a 3M film. It's called Gilda or Gilden or something like that. It comes in a 6 foot roll from either Home Depot or Lowe's. The box is roughly 3 feet in height, it had white and orange on it, the color is "smoke," and it costs around $12. All you do is, cut the amount of film that you will need to cover the light (be generous though because you need to wrap it around and tape it on the inside housing) and try to keep it from crumpling up because it is static cling and it will tend to do that. So the side of the film that was attached to the white part will now be on ur light. Just gently lay it on and work from the middle part out. You'll start hitting a few speed bumps with some wrinkles and such towards the edge, but all you so is use some force to stretch it around, wrap it, and push the bubbles out with a credit card or something to ensure it won't peel off while you're doing it. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. So far, I've used this method on my car, an 07 Civic coupe, and an 08 Hyundai Sonata. It also depends on the car and the shape of the light. For example, that huge curve on the tailights on the 08 Sonata is a PITA. The way I did it was I just kept gently pulling on it while pushing out the bubbles. Sometimes, it requires two people, but for your LGT, it won't. So to answer your question, don't apply so much force that you'll damage the housing because that amount of force is not needed. When you're wrapping it around, just be sure to use to a credit card to push out the bubbles because thats a main factor.

liljay do u have a picture of the final result on your LGT :) i wanna cheack it out to see how dark it is

I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll definitely post some up tomorrow or friday if I can. I'm going to Maryland tomorrow so I might not have the chance.

Archived