LegacyGT.com

Legacy Diesel in Top Gear

Scotty

I think the low fuel light in the Legacy comes on when there is approximately 2.5-3 gallons of fuel left in the tank. This is typical for most cars with low fuel warning systems - that allows for 60+ miles of driving so that you can get to the next gas station.

I have made it a LONG way after hitting --- more miles. Probably in the ballpark of at least 50 miles but I have never run all the way out so I dont know how far I can really go.
^ n00bs below this line

Did you get an early X-mas present???

I didn't "get" it yet but its on order.

Drove the 5 speed Legacy and the 6 speed Forester back-to-back and the Legacy gets better fuel efficiency ratings (aerodynamics help a lot), and the 5 speed is just so much nicer to use than the 6, which feels super plasticky.

There's a lot less shifting going on in the Lagacy, and like I said, the box is smooth as silk. Also, 5th on the Leggy is nice and loooooooong, really nicely matched to the engine's torque curve. People are also saying the engine loosens up a LOT after about 10k miles, improving performance and economy.

I didn't "get" it yet but its on order.

Drove the 5 speed Legacy and the 6 speed Forester back-to-back and the Legacy gets better fuel efficiency ratings (aerodynamics help a lot), and the 5 speed is just so much nicer to use than the 6, which feels super plasticky.

There's a lot less shifting going on in the Lagacy, and like I said, the box is smooth as silk. Also, 5th on the Leggy is nice and loooooooong, really nicely matched to the engine's torque curve. People are also saying the engine loosens up a LOT after about 10k miles, improving performance and economy.

Sweet...yea I read Europe and Japan will get the first Boxster diesel wagons. So you got to test drive a diesel on the lot in France? You like the performance?

I had to order my wagon too...waited for 2 months.

^^Yes, the cause of high Diesel prices in the US i because our refinery process is set up to turn a certain percentage of crude into different types of fuels - gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, heating oil, lube oil, etc. The percentage of diesel fuel produced from our refineries now is similar to the output from 10 or 15 years ago, when very few personal vehicles ran on diesel. Unfortunately, the only way to lower the cost on diesel is to retrofit old refineries or to build all new refineries with a higher percentage output of diesel fuel. Retrofitting the old factories is expensive so I doubt many refineries will go that route.

And then you have the incredibly strong Ethanol Lobbies who, with the strength of all of the corn farmers in the mid west, have dug their hands into the pockets of our leaders in Washington DC and convinced them that diesel fuel should be taxed at a higher rate than regular gas. The excise tax on diesel fuel is 30% higher than it is on regular gas. This creates less of a demand for diesel fuel due to higher pricees and more potential demand for ethanol blended products. Sorry, about the OT rant, just had to vent!

+1....ive been thinking about this a lot lately...

the corn industry is also behind the ethanol push...

for more on this topic see the criminalzation of marijuana in america, these same industries having thier hands in the pockets of the leaders in washington, lead to marijuana becoming an illegal substance... its funny that america likes to erase history... they dont teach you this in school.. but the 2nd leading cash crop in the colonies behind tabacco was hemp.. over cotton, over booze, it was the leading oil and paper supplier until the early 1900's and only then became illegal thanks to rockerfeller and the likes.. if marijuana was legalized and taxed not only could they use it for oil but paper products... and then maybe we can teach our kids that the declaration of independence was written on a pot leaf...

Sweet...yea I read Europe and Japan will get the first Boxster diesel wagons. So you got to test drive a diesel on the lot in France? You like the performance?

I had to order my wagon too...waited for 2 months.

I drove the boxer diesel wagon first in August, then again a few weeks ago at the same dealership. It's a very smooth, torquey engine with more high end than the 1.9 TDI in my Skoda.

It is a very nice engine, in a very nice car. :redface: I'm a sucker for the pushbutton start.

Nice...be sure to post some photos here when you get it. The U.S. won't get these for another year or longer. Diesel is much more popular in Europe.

I might have to save my $ and upgrade to that in a few years.

for more on this topic see the criminalzation of marijuana in america, these same industries having thier hands in the pockets of the leaders in washington, lead to marijuana becoming an illegal substance... its funny that america likes to erase history... they dont teach you this in school.. but the 2nd leading cash crop in the colonies behind tabacco was hemp.. over cotton, over booze, it was the leading oil and paper supplier until the early 1900's and only then became illegal thanks to rockerfeller and the likes.. if marijuana was legalized and taxed not only could they use it for oil but paper products... and then maybe we can teach our kids that the declaration of independence was written on a pot leaf...

Now we're talkin!

Word up! :cool:

+1

I triple that! IMO is due to the fact it is almost impossible to tax coz it can be grown anywhere, in your backyard or what not. They would lose $billions in taxes and especially political donations from lobbyists (corn, tobacco, alcohol).

• 2 years later...

Archived