LegacyGT.com

Oil changes in the cold - 27 degrees and still fun

I think the OB has equal length header, nothing to do with ULEV.

But then I have JDM OEM equal length header on my LGT and I don't find it "pain in the butt" :confused:

My Dealer changes the oil for me $32 and I don't have to deal with it. I don't really ahve the means as of yet cause I still live in my condo.....boooooooo!

BTW, Joe you can track all maintenance on My Subaru.com....makes it easy for you.

Rehab is for quitters.

• 3 weeks later...
I changed the outback oil in about 35 degrees last weekend, wet ground. I wore a raincoat and snowboarding pants. It was nice not to have to jack up the car. I remove the old oil filter with an oil filter wrench, but that damages it. So I wait till the headers cool off before sticking my hand up there to put on the new filter.

I remove the old oil filter with an oil filter wrench, but that damages it. So I wait till the headers cool off before sticking my hand up there to put on the new filter.

Why do you care about damaging an old oil filter ?

Have you read about the trick of unscrewing it with a plastic drink

cup (after you've loosened it), so the cup catches all the mess ?

Why do you care about damaging an old oil filter ?

Have you read about the trick of unscrewing it with a plastic drink

cup (after you've loosened it), so the cup catches all the mess ?

No, I don't know that trick. That'd be nice. So you just jam a disposable drink cup on it?

I only care about the new oil filter. I didn't express my train of thoughts quite right. The headers are hot from warming up the car. I can get the old oil filter off with the wrench without touching my hands to the headers, but use my hands to put the new filter on, to prevent it from getting damaged by the wrench. I have to wait to prevent my hands from getting burned by the headers.

Use a extra large cup from mcdonalds or the large taco bell cups, that catches the filter and pretty much everything that comes out so it doest drip all over your hand and arms. Ive been lazy and just grab a groccery bag and unscrew the filter with the bag over it. does the same, but a bit more difficult since the bag tends to wrap around the filter when turning.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't yet purchased a Fumoto drain valve, I just ordered mine with the

10% Discount Code: YM4

from https://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=40

I know it's just $2.60, but it all adds up IMO.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Ok. I like to drive my car around prior to an oil change to homogenize the oil and warm it up so that it has better flow. The pumping of the oil, movement of the engine internals, and vehicular motion help to agitate the oil.

:)

Joe

Just changed my oil in an outdoor parking lot. 4pm, 22 degrees. Royal Purple 5W-30 (figure I'll add to the minority who have tried it, will do oil analysis at 4 or 5k). I had it flow straight into a black trash bag while hot; no problem, no mess.

The Royal Purple is WAY BETTER THAN DINO OIL. Engine is a hair quieter, and a lot smoother. Is on sale at Action Auto Parts on Main Street in Providence, for all you RI folks. Next up I'm going to try the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30, but that's 6 months away...

EDIT: And no, I did not then drop the oil in the trash.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

ClimberD - Just a comment. I recently changed (16 degrees baby!) from Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 to.....PP 5w30. And it was remarkably smoother and quieter upon cold start-up.

Just saying, sometimes it's really new oil which makes it feel so much better. :)

Joe

ClimberD - Just a comment. I recently changed (16 degrees baby!) from Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 to.....PP 5w30. And it was remarkably smoother and quieter upon cold start-up.

Just saying, sometimes it's really new oil which makes it feel so much better. :)

Joe

16* is badass. Your point makes sense. What I failed to mention was that the old oil had only been in for <1000 miles of mostly highway driving, which would most likely not result in such a significant difference if they both provide a comparable amount of engine smoothness when fresh.

Archived