LegacyGT.com

Stuck Liftgate - 99 Legacy wagon 30th annviersary

nixon

HELP! I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon - 30th anniversary edition (badge + sunroof). The liftgate is stuck and will not open. This is not the first time this has happened. The last time it happened about a year ago, I had the dealer fix it when I had it there for other service.

I would really like to know how to fix it myself so if anyone has any experience in this or suggestions, please help me out here.

Thanks!

First, yes, make sure its unlocked before you do this. I've made that mistake.

Climb into the back of the cargo area and take the panel of the hatch out. There are 4 or 5 trim rivets on the bottom which you can pry off with a screwdriver, and there are clips which just unclick when you pull the cover rather firmly.

Now that you are in there, the vertical metal bar which leads from the handle to the outside to that latch mechanism, pull it upwards and push the gate open.

It should work that way, but once you close it, it'll be stuck again.

My money is the spring from the handle is rusted out. It happens a lot.

See if that works, and check back in. If it opens when you pull that metal bar upwards, then its certainly the handle. I have the part numbers for it if that is the case.

There are two parts to this, there is the handle and the backing plate. If your handle is rusty, the plate is just as bad. So, get both!

Handle (fits 90-03 wagons): 62150AA211

Bracket (95-03 wagons): 84927AC020

It's fixed!! Thanks for your help!!

After reading the posts, I decided the first thing to try was to make sure the handle was closed completely then unlock it. Bingo! This will make it ALOT easier today to pack the car with all the stuff for the baby. Thanks again!

It's fixed!! Thanks for your help!!

After reading the posts, I decided the first thing to try was to make sure the handle was closed completely then unlock it. Bingo! This will make it ALOT easier today to pack the car with all the stuff for the baby. Thanks again!

some WD-40 squirted into that hinge should help it out for a bit. Mine sticks at random...

Archived