LegacyGT.com

L.L.Bean Outback Steering Wheel Scratches

alaskajoel

I have an outback Steering wheel (radio controls, with the wood on the top) but the wood has acquired a deep scratch. (see Picture). Because my OCD gets to me, I want this fixed (I know, I should be more careful with my wood):lol:

Questions:

Is this that difficult to repair? (i know absolutely nothing about wood work)

or

What kind of place would I take it to for fixing? I'm guessing some type of furniture refinishing joint / carpenter? Any input would be appreciated

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/wheel2.jpg

How did you get it...from a wrecked Outback at a pick-ur part lot?

A dealer's outback had it when the vehicle was delivered to them, so they took it off and replaced it with a new one. This one was essentially new other then the scratch up top - leather looks perfect still:) I kinda scored, because i'm getting this scratch fixed locally for about 30 bucks

Okay so...

Turns out, the scratch isn't really a scratch...it appears to have been a defect with the wood veneer that was used in this particular wheel...basically the manufacturer used a crappy piece, and then used whatever sealant/protectant on top of it. The wood shop that looked at it said it was probably some type of urethane clear coat?? does that sound right? I think i may be getting into a bigger project then i had initially planned for:lol::spin:

Ah ha....wood veneer. well thats crappy. they probably used a polyurethane clear coat which will be a PITA to get through to the actual wood (veneer). Hm...you could sand through the polyurethane down to the "scratch" and then put try to fix the defect. Then put polyurethane back on to seal it all back up...but that might take a while

Eric

Ah ha....wood veneer. well thats crappy. they probably used a polyurethane clear coat which will be a PITA to get through to the actual wood (veneer). Hm...you could sand through the polyurethane down to the "scratch" and then put try to fix the defect. Then put polyurethane back on to seal it all back up...but that might take a while

Eric

So I have some sand paper and one of those nifty blend fil pens...if i sanded down, and repaired my wood:wub:, would i be able to match the new polyurethane clear coat to the stuff that's already there? I have never worked with the stuff before:lol:

depends..I've never seen a LL Bean wheel in person but there are several types of polyurethane if I recall correctly. Some more matte or flat vs high gloss. Can you remove the "wood" part from the rest of the wheel?

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Archived