LegacyGT.com

"ER IU" broke down

Sebastian

Was driving my 05 lgt and the engine shut off. I pulled off the side of the road and tried to start the car. Turned the key back to on, let the guage sweep get started, then tried to start the car. Instead of it starting you heard one tick from the selenoid and all the lights would go out on the instument panel for a sec. Then the panel comes back on and right above the odometer it reads "ER IU". Thought I noticed a slight burning smell from beside the car and under the hood. On the long shot, I unhooked the battery for a few minutes drained the power with brake lights to reset the ecu. Hooked the battery back up and and had the same results when trying to start the car. I called roadside assistance and had the car towed to the dealer. It has 52k so it's still under powertrain and emmission warranty.

Any idea what would cause the car to breakdown like this? Any tips on how to deal with the dealer? My car is stock except for cosmetic mods.

Your battery is probably dead. Try a jump? Believe the ER IU is an indication that the immobilizer unit is failing, but I believe that's a normal false indication given when there isn't sufficient charge to start the car.

Could be somewhat worrysome that it shut off while driving though -- could be the alternator too I guess.

So the dealer originally told me that they should have more info on Tues or Wed about my car. Called Wed and they told me that they were trying to get other cars done in time for the holiday weekend, and that I should hear something Mon or Tues. A little irritating.. What surprised me is that they told me they had no loaner cars to give me and they don't give out rentals. WTF? My car goes in for warranty work and they leave me high and dry with no car? Never had an issue like this when dealing with Ford dealers.

A couple of months ago I was in an accident and took my car to this dealer to be repaired. They did a great job on the metal work but screwed up everything else. There was overspray all over the roof of the car. My trunk light was broke. They didn't bother using screws or pop-its when they put the trunk liner back in. One of the seatbelts was behind the rear seat instead of being pulled in front of it. And they broke an interior panel on the car. Not to mention my trunk leaked. I noticed the leak first, took it in and they repaired it right away. When I took it back to the dealer to show them the other stuff, the guy told me he would order a new light and panel and call me when they came in. He would buff out the overspray the same day. 2 weeks later I called in about the situation, he told me the trunk light still hadn't came in. Another week later, same thing. After another week of me calling I guess he realized that I wasn't going to go away and told me the parts were in and scheduled a day for me to bring in the car. Haven't had a chance to see if they fixed everything since the car broke down a few days before I was supposed to bring it in.

Is this typical of Subaru Dealers? Or does mine just suck?

Yours sucks, I'd call and start raising absolute hell.

+1

You are just as important as other customers. Time to find the contact info for the regional SOA rep.....

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Good to hear this isn't the "norm" when dealing with Subaru dealers. Once I get my car back I will never take it back there again.

Just called dealer for an update, they said they submitted data to Subaru and are waiting to hear back from them to find out what the problem is.

Finally heard back from the dealer. They said there was antifreeze in my engine oil. They are replacing the "short block" and 1 cylinder head. They are sending the other head out for testing. Warranty is taking care of it.

Does this basically mean that I am getting a new engine?

They could have called SOA to see if they would authorize any kind of rental. Typically if they have no loaner car fleet, they use rentals. Until it is determined that it is covered by SOA, then no rentals are given unless the customer wants to pay for one or they can get SOA to pay for it while they diagnose it.

They are replacing the bottom end and 1 head, everything else that is good from the old top end and turbo is being re-used.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

So since its been determined that warranty is covering the work, am I entitled to a rental now? Anyone know the policy on this?

Also, with all the horror stories that go around about dealerships, is there anything I should be asking the dealer, or asking to see?

So since its been determined that warranty is covering the work, am I entitled to a rental now? Anyone know the policy on this?

Also, with all the horror stories that go around about dealerships, is there anything I should be asking the dealer, or asking to see?

Yes you are if the repairs take longer than 1 day to complete or if they have to order the parts and not in stock. I know the policy very well.

If they do not put you into a rental if you are within the above criteria, advise them to contact SOA and make them aware that you are as well.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Talked to service manager this morning. They said they thought it was a spun bearing that caused the problem. Said I would get a rental for five days and then they would have to contact subaru and could get another 5 days for me. He said they would have the car for approx. 3 weeks.

Talked to service manager this morning. They said they thought it was a spun bearing that caused the problem. Said I would get a rental for five days and then they would have to contact subaru and could get another 5 days for me. He said they would have the car for approx. 3 weeks.

That sounds about right.

They aren't sure about the spun bearing, they won't know for sure until they completely tear the engine down. In any case, what would cause a spun bearing?

While I occasionaly do spirited driving, I never run the car hard till it's warmed up and I always keep an eye on my fluids. Bought the car at 47k miles, don't know how it was treated before that. By dealer records I know that it was maintained at proper intervals.

If it is indeed a spun bearing, is this likely to be just a faulty part, or caused by the occasional spirited driving? The car is completely stock.

So, I went to the dealer to get a couple things out of the car, and the manager showed me my oil pan. It was coated with metal fragments. Some were half-dollar size. He said it was abuse and high rpm's. I don't think I beat the car that hard, even though I have the occasional spirited driving spurt. Could something like this been the result of abuse over time, or did this likely happen in a short time frame? Could the damage have been caused by the previous owner? I've put around 5000 of the cars 52k miles on it. I never heard any noises or felt anything wrong with the car until seconds before if died..

Archived