LegacyGT.com

Non-official AZ Photo Radar FTL thread!

AirSix

Fvckers got me! I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1988 :lol:. How much money is the state wasting on this Matrix like myriad of friggin photo radar traps? Southbound SR-51 between Bethany and Camelback got me at 65 in a 55. The best part is this camera was installed at the base of a several mile downhill elevation change and it is less than a 1/4 mile from where the 65mph section through the Dreamy Draw becomes 55mph for no other reason than to create a radar trap. I really have no excuse but I find it funny that I'm driving with the flow of traffic and now I owe the drowning in debt city of Phoenix $150. That flash went off at least 3 times and I'm guessing it got every car in the pack I was cruising with. Cruise control is my new friend :mad:.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Yeah, they are starting to put those vans everywhere, especially on all the good stretches of highway. I almost got caught on the Eastbound 202 out by Red Mountain the other day. But for as much money as it's costing them to put the 40 or so new vans and how many new red light cameras, I see those popping people almost every light cycle, sometimes 2-3 per cycle too. They are making money hand over fist that way with the way people drive around here. But I dunno, what you are talking about, with the speed trap type situation... that's dangerous. Now everytime I pass one of those, everyone slams on their brakes, regardless of whether or not they are speeding, just because people are getting paranoid about it, which causes traffic to immediately drop 10-15 mph... definitely dangerous.

On another non-official note, did you hear about the new law about license plate covers? Well, it's not new new, but they are enforcing it soon...

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories/phoenix-local-news-102908-license-plate-frames.15dd395b0.html

Yah the license plate frame can't cover ARIZONA on the plate. The plate covers that have the reflective material inside to wash out your plate # when the photo radar cameras flash are also illegal by statute.

This is the closet to legal anti-photo radar invention I've seen for plates...if you don't mind a big shark fin sticking out.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=C6C8A5AF-5A29-4204-9FE7-8C6C68CE779E&gsa=true

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I lock in at 70MPH and I am still getting looks...

-Matt

Well with the whole state drowning in debt, $150 stops 20 times per day adds up :mad:

The way most judges are interpreting statute, that shark fin thing would be illegal. The plate needs to be legible from any angle from which it would be legible without any BS gizmos.

Best thing you can do about this is contact your state reps and let them know if they don't go away, you'll vote their a** out of office. There are so many issues with this crap it isn't even funny.

Another idea is to just drive around with the plate in the back seat and give some lame excuse when you get pulled over (I lost a screw, and it was going to fall off... etc.). That ticket (if you don't get a warning) is $75 and no points.

Yes, anything obstructing your plate is a DPS officers wet dream so I would never waste my money.

I saw a local news story where some lawyer is challenging local photo radar as unconstitutional. The argument is that becuase there is no criminal punishment involved with the tickets, they are actually taxes on motor vehicles and therefore must have been approved by a majority vote in the state legislature prior to implementation.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived