LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT or 05 Nissan Altima SER

I know this is a Subaru forum and opinions will probably be bais but what do you guys think about the 2 cars? I've had a hard time deciding which car to get. Came down to test driving the cars twice. It's not to fair for the Altima being -1 degree celcius here in Canada with S-03 tires on. The Nissan is quite impressive with 260hp and a whole lots of options included for about 5 grand less(cdn $$). In the end i decided on the Legacy GT because of the awd and feel under hard acceleration. Very tough decision to make.

here in Canada the msrp for the SER is $35000 while the Legacy Limited is $41000. I decided on a white GT limited.

As for the SER, I agree with you totallly. Torque steer is it's biggest problem. IMO, too much power being forced from the front wheels. The acceleration was very unstable because of it. Feels like walking a big strong dog when they see another dog. I did not feel confident driving it really fast. Another point was the interior. I have heard that Nissan's finish quality was not the greatest. I tend to get very annoyed hearing little rattles and squeeks. I did not have this problem from my previous SUbaru(WRX).

The sticker on my Legacy with all the options was over $30K. I didn't pay that, obviously, but they do get higher than $28K.

The Altima is a V6. Legacy is a 4 cylinder. The Altima should have higher horsepower numbers. Having 250 in a four banger is fun stuff. Plus, its a Subaru. I've been driving subarus for years and I love how reliable they are. They do well at holding resale value and they are mechanically very sound cars. Nissans depreciate incredibly fast. In 5 years you'll make more on your Legacy trade in than you would an Altima. Plus there is the fact that Nissan drivers are jerks. ;) That is true where I live anyway.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Funny how the Nissan salesman told me that Nissan Altima actually has one of the highest resale values. SER is a little cheaper here in Canada. One of the reasons I liked the SER is that I won't have to add any mods because they are all there already. I know for a fact that I will be playing around with the GT. Could be another 10g's blown by this time next year. I plan on getting new tires, and a partial stereo upgrade done(amp, sub and speakers). Rims is another possiblity. Anyone know if the rim size on the 05 Legacy GT the same as all other Subaru's? Will the rims from a WRX fit(not going to get WRX rims but something that fit a WRX)?

Since you live in the great white north, the AWD LGT was a good choice.

The SE-R is a nice car though.

As anybody whose driven the 3.5 liter VQ from Nissan, it's sweet.

The SE-R (like all Nissan FWD cars with the 3.5) has torque steer.

Doesn't make for the best car to launch hard from a stop.

But from a roll, the SE-R in a manual will pull slightly on the LGT.

And at speeds above 80 mph forget about it the SE-R will pull away, stock for stock.

I know LGT owners won't agree, but trust me, don't go betting on taking one from a roll, 95% sure you'll lose that bet!

But that's about it's only advantage over the LGT the SE-R has.

But from a roll, the SE-R in a manual will pull slightly on the LGT.

And at speeds above 80 mph forget about it the SE-R will pull away, stock for stock.

I know LGT owners won't agree, but trust me, don't go betting on taking one from a roll, 95% sure you'll lose that bet!

But that's about it's only advantage over the LGT the SE-R has.

Only Grannies "roll" not people who want to race....

'roll' is for FWD cars that are incapable of proper racing. I've never seen rolling starts in F1 or WRC. Oh wait, NASCAR. :rolleyes:

As for mods, emm... the ALtima is based off an FF-L platform which shares bits and pieces with the maxima, a truck called Murano, a minivan - sienna, pickup-truck (whatever it's called). It is far from being a proper sporty car despite the badging credentials.

For 35k, I'd toss in a bit more money and get a G35. It has after all an analog clock and it is above any reproach. ;)

'roll' is for FWD cars that are incapable of proper racing. I've never seen rolling starts in F1 or WRC. Oh wait, NASCAR. :rolleyes:

As for mods, emm... the ALtima is based off an FF-L platform which shares bits and pieces with the maxima, a truck called Murano, a minivan - sienna, pickup-truck (whatever it's called). It is far from being a proper sporty car despite the badging credentials.

For 35k, I'd toss in a bit more money and get a G35. It has after all an analog clock and it is above any reproach. ;)

while i agree mostly - give the se-r a test drive some time - you will be surprised at what FWD can accomplish. The altima (even in the plain 3.5se trim) is a fun car to drive. However like you said – for about the same price you can get a G35 which is much nicer, or even just a Maxima which is still a step up.

the se-r is a fun car to drive. i wish it were cheaper.

my friend has an 05 3.5SE Altima. THe interior is much nicer than the older one. Fun? If all you care about is mashing the car on the highway is fun. I guess I'm only interested in handling and balance of a car. Something that the altima just don't have.

Will the SE-R be better? I don't care. it's still a big FWD like a Grand Prix GT, Impala SS, Maxima, camry <insert all large FWD sedans> with lousy weight distribution over two over-burdened wheels.

I'd never want to take this car on any country mountain roads with off-camber turns. No way.

But the G35 Coupe. Now that's different. :D

Only Grannies "roll" not people who want to race....

A LOT more people, yourself included I'm sure, do "runs" from a roll on the road than you EVER do from a dead stop.

You must hang around a bunch of hip grannies, just don't try to pass one on the freeway or beat one on a freeway onramp if she happens to be in a SE-R.

Like I said, it is one area where the SE-R is better than the LGT.

Of course, from a stop or in the twisties it would be LGT hands down!

Uh, Sienna's a Toyota. :p You mean the Quest, which is indeed on a stretched Altima platform. But these days lots of companies share platforms- in the end it saves us, the consumer, money, which is a good thing. :)

The SE-R is a nice car. Great engine- VQ has lots of Torque down low (unlike our GTs). Big wheels, HIDs, sporty appearance. I'd consider it a cheaper alternative to a TL. Fast highway cruiser (straight highways!). But the LGT is in a different league. The front wheels are just not ideal for putting down that kind of power.

tom

tom :)

A LOT more people, yourself included I'm sure, do "runs" from a roll on the road than you EVER do from a dead stop.

You must hang around a bunch of hip grannies, just don't try to pass one on the freeway or beat one on a freeway onramp if she happens to be in a SE-R.

Like I said, it is one area where the SE-R is better than the LGT.

Of course, from a stop or in the twisties it would be LGT hands down!

Sure an SE-R would walk on the freeway or onramp if I was cruising at like 1000 rpm ("grannie speeds"), around the 3000-3500 range I dont think so...

Is 'Rolling race' invented by the SRT-4 kidz? surely it was not popular or known amongst the old 60s muscle car era.

A "rolling race" is when some fool pulls up to you wanting to race, and the moment you look over and realize somone is there, they take off saying "w00t, I juts pwn3d me an LGT"....a "real race" is when two people agree to, are prepared and *are aware of* the fact that they are supposed to be in a race.

Well you're partially right, but just need to lose the pessimistic and sarcastic attitude

and you'd be fully correct.

A "rolling" race is more of a pure race of the car's power and acceleration ability.

Pulling up along side someone at any speed, both "agreeing" on a run and then flooring it. Whomever's car pulls ahead or away has more go power. Of course, gearing plays a big roll as to how the power is put down.

If you don't think "rolling" from ANY speed is considered racing, maybe you should try telling ANY racer OTHER than a drag racer that when they are trying to make their pass on a straight away, or making their final push for the checkered flag!

That's as pure of a race as it gets! And it's all about horsepower in the car.

And you need to go drive a 3.5 SE Altima manual or SE-R and punch it from a roll and then tell me you think the LGT has an advantage from a roll.

So you know, a friend with an LGT Manual couldn't pull on another friend with a G35 sedan AUTO in 3 different attempts.

Or, just go place a $1000 bet with someone with a SE-R manual on a rolling run from any speed above 10 mph to however fast you want to go and I can pretty much assure you, you're pockets will be lighter in the end.

I love my LGT, but unlike some, I don't pretend their aren't other cars out there that are better as some things.

Well you're partially right, but just need to lose the pessimistic and sarcastic attitude

and you'd be fully correct.

Well I dont think the "attitude" had anything to do with the correctness of my statement but anyways...

Personally I belive that races from a stop are the true races but that is opinion. I dont see a "roll race" as being any "purer" than a stoplight race, prob even less so, and I dont see it as being a better test of acceleration ability. This can be argued for ages, whatever, who cares....

I will fully acknowledge that there can be a race from a roll, as you mentioned, when both people are aware and prepared from whatever speed....I do think that many a "race from a roll" takes place as I mention on freeway ramps, highways whatever where two people are close to each other and someone punches it first then claims to win an "even" race. This is more what I am referring to...

As for the LGT vs. SE-R from a "roll", given other equals, I figured that if the LGT was in the right RPM (say 3000-3500+) and the right gear (usually the main prob for turbo cars during roll races), the race would be much closer, than if both cars raced from a roll when the LGT was not in an RPM range conducive to acceleration.

I havent driven the SE-R so yes this is my speculation.

Archived