LegacyGT.com

timing belt

kabrons

If I recall they are interference motors. Best bet is to have it towed in to have a technician look at it.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I was fueling up, when it happened. It sputtered then died so I didn't even think "timing belt" that's why I tried to start it. But when it turned over quickly I knew what happened. I bought the car USED with 145K miles. I kick myself because it was running rough a month ago and asked the previous owner if he ever had the timing belt replaced. Obviously the answer was a resounding NO. Anyway, I've begun the repair process with the help of a mechnic friend. I appreciate all the replies to my post (even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear).

Does the GT have a 2.5? Because that is interference, I know someone with the 2.5 have their belt go. It was not pretty.

The 2.2 is not, my belt just went, and the engine is fine.

Do you know at what mileage that their timing belt went?

I would change it, AND the tensioner. Luckly the 2.2 isn't, cause i lost a tensioner.

I have the 2.2 and I changed my timing belt a month or so ago. My old tensioner was 'wet', like it was leaking. I am glad I ordered a new one with all my parts!

I have the 2.2 and I changed my timing belt a month or so ago. My old tensioner was 'wet', like it was leaking. I am glad I ordered a new one with all my parts!

Your engine is non-interference anyway, so it would not matter if you belt broke. I'd suggest doing your water pump at the same time. Mine froze up and broke the timing belt. It went at 92,062. non-interference FTW!

Your engine is non-interference anyway, so it would not matter if you belt broke. I'd suggest doing your water pump at the same time. Mine froze up and broke the timing belt. It went at 92,062. non-interference FTW!

I think it would matter if my belt broke.... I'd rather not be stranded in some random place cause my timing was gone. Good idea on the water pump too.

I think it would matter if my belt broke.... I'd rather not be stranded in some random place cause my timing was gone. Good idea on the water pump too.

Well yeah, I meant matter as in engine damage. Mine mattered as in get stuck in random place. My pump seized when I was 3 hours away from home in northern Maine at night. You can bet my mom was happy to come pick up my friends and I. Then my car was also at a dealer 3 hours away from home, gigantic fiasco. GET IT DONE NOW, haha.

yupppp i finally set up an appointment for this wednesday... now all I need to do is make it 400 mi home!!!! I got the belt, water pump, tensioner, and all appropriate seals. Thanks for ur posts!

ill let u know what happens

I got all the parts- belt, tensioner, water pump, gaskets & pulleys, thermostat... I think that is it. Total for that entire job I ended up paying a little over $900

AND the check engine light came on on the way home. Turns out I need a new catalytic converter!! The dealer tried to charge me $2300 :eek: . Luckily my brother can get me a cat for $240. Phew!

I got all the parts- belt, tensioner, water pump, gaskets & pulleys, thermostat... I think that is it. Total for that entire job I ended up paying a little over $900

AND the check engine light came on on the way home. Turns out I need a new catalytic converter!! The dealer tried to charge me $2300 :eek: . Luckily my brother can get me a cat for $240. Phew!

$2300 for a cat converter? That it ridiculous!

Archived