LegacyGT.com

Front sway bar , worth it or not

peteyjr

Currently running a version 2 Progress rear bar 22mm. Pretty happy with the improvement in handling. Was wondering about doing the front bar now . I had the Cobb front and rears on my WRX. My understanding is the front bar is not really needed. Has anyone done the rear bar first and then gone on to do the front bar? Worth it. Currently running Swifts on stockers but looking to improve handling a bit more.

Depends on what you're after. I installed rear first...really liked it, then added front and liked that as well (just a little less body roll). Does that mean it actually handles better now? Not necessarily. Remember increasing the front bar generally increases understeer. So, I like having both front and rear, but again, not absolutely sure it's increased grip. It does make it more "solid" feeling.

I like to experiment (why I also got coilovers so I could play around with settins) so I'd say...get it, try it, if you don't like it then sell it.

camber-challenged cars, like ours, actually benefit a lot from stiffening the suspension. Keep in mind the front suspension is a MacPherson strut setup and the wheels' camber goes positive under hard cornering, resulting in understeer. It was my experience that adding a front and rear sway bar kept the car very neutral and the front bar helps turn in and reduces understeer because it offers a better dynamic camber curve with the MacPherson strut. I think it is very worth it to improve handling.

Archived