LegacyGT.com

Q's about factory Spec.B tires...

StHalcyon

I just had a thought I live in northern canada very cold and I just took off my summers, now i live in a apartment and space is tight so i put them on the patio for the winter are they going to get hard and crack out there or is it ok I bagged in plastic thanks

I run the stock SpecB tires on my SpecB rims. I bought a set of 17" Tarmac 2 with Blizzak LM 22 used on NASIOC. Going on my 2nd winter with these. I say skip the TMPs on your snows. Totally not worth the money.

I just had a thought I live in northern canada very cold and I just took off my summers, now i live in a apartment and space is tight so i put them on the patio for the winter are they going to get hard and crack out there or is it ok I bagged in plastic thanks

I'm not sure about the cracking. The stock RE050s are a pretty expensive tire. Will the shop that did your swap store them for you??

I just did wheels and tires for my wife's SUV up here. The shop stored her other wheels for the season free of charge. I do have room to store them in the house .... but why??

Where are you located in Canada???

When I bought my Shrek B in Sep 06, I bought a blizzak on 17" rim set up. I run 'em every winter and love it. A dedicated winter set up is awesome - I grew up in Chicago as well and wouldn't even recommend running all seasons out there in the winter... especially with a tuned/modded Subie. For one thing, if you dump the money into making the car go fast, you might as well spend money to keep it on the road. For another, if you like performance, you'll love the winter rubber performance as well.

just put my winter setup on the car. I've over done it for where i live now (DC area), but i'd rather go overkill than be sorry.

Now, if you can just get the other idiots off the road when it snows, all would be good.

I'm not sure about the cracking. The stock RE050s are a pretty expensive tire. Will the shop that did your swap store them for you??

I just did wheels and tires for my wife's SUV up here. The shop stored her other wheels for the season free of charge. I do have room to store them in the house .... but why??

Where are you located in Canada???

Im in Edmonton....unfortunatly lol

OK, here's my first real experience with good snow and the specB. First, I picked up a set of Continental Viking SnowTech's (225/45-17) from discount tire direct for $99 each. Also picked up a set of Drag DR wheels (17x7.5) for $325, slightly used from them as well. I had to call them on the phone to get a set of the cheapest snows they had and a set of used wheels since they do have more than is advertised on their web site. But delivered to my door, mounted and balanced, was $721.....which isn't bad for a set of dedicated snows. The wheels look brand spanking new and are fine for the winter season. The tires are a little wider than I would have liked to go for the snow, but work great.

So, we just had a significant snow-fall here in my area and I was driving on packed snow, loose snow, slush and deep un-plowed snow. These tires did excellent, holding the road and not skidding while on the brake pedal. I am very happy with these tires for the winter and glad to have them on dedicated wheels...just my one and a half cents worth.

Then when I read about the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalog/car-suv-van/catalogo_desc.page?categoria=/catalog/car-suv-van/car/all-season&uri=/pirellityre/en_US/browser/xml/catalog/car-suv-van/CAR_PZRNMS_ALL.xml&prodotto=Nero&vehicleType=CAR-SUV-VAN, I totally changed my mind. It is an ultra high performance all season, with mud and snow capability (hence the M+S indicator in the product name). I figured that for living in Chicago with pretty good street salting and plowing on major streets (which I live on one and work at one), I figure the most I'll encounter is snow, which these tires can totally handle capably. If there ever is an ice storm, winter tires won't help at all, unless I get studded winter tires, which isn't practical for all winter long driving, plus the noise from the tires.

Same exact tread pattern as their summer-only tire. While tread isn't everything, not the best in winter conditions based on brother's Focus and friend's A4.

• 11 months later...

I wish some of these threads had been here when I first got my '06 Spec. B! I, too, can confirm that the RE050A's are downright dangerous in just a little snow. I had an experience in northern Virginia in January 2007 where I struggled to keep the car controlled in about 1.5" of snow. It was unbelievably scary. At one point, I had to head down a hill with a stoplight at the bottom. I had to try and time my descent such that I could hit the bottom of the hill while the light was green, and after the other vehicles had cleared the intersection, because if I stepped on the brakes, I would slide uncontrollably into the stopped cars. Really scary.

Anyway, I've got winters now on some cheapie 17's, but I'm still contemplating replacing the summers on the stock 18's with an A/S tire. What A/S tires are people using on the Spec. B stockers that might get as close to the performance of a summer tire as possible? Maybe the Goodyear Eagle GT? In general, how much do you give up with an Ultra-High Performance A/S tire? I won't be tracking or auto-x'ing the vehicle.

What A/S tires are people using on the Spec. B stockers that might get as close to the performance of a summer tire as possible? Maybe the Goodyear Eagle GT?

I'm on Eagle GTs now and have been pretty happy with their performance. They'll get you through snow, but you'll still be sliding around a bit in deep slush.

I'm on Eagle GTs now and have been pretty happy with their performance. They'll get you through snow, but you'll still be sliding around a bit in deep slush.

That sounds like a pretty good endorsement, coming from someone in Chicago. :) It sounds like they'd be fine for spirited daily driving.

In warm weather, do you feel like you give up a lot of traction with the Eagle GTs? If it's really minimal, then I think I'd be fine with those.

That sounds like a pretty good endorsement, coming from someone in Chicago. :) It sounds like they'd be fine for spirited daily driving.

In warm weather, do you feel like you give up a lot of traction with the Eagle GTs? If it's really minimal, then I think I'd be fine with those.

Spirited daily driving, sure, no problem. Aggressive, I honestly wouldn't know because I don't push the car that hard. I've only gotten the tires to squeal once, but the car took turn (gripped) really well. One of the main reasons I went with this tire was because of the 50K treadwear. Summer tires were great but would've been a waste of money for my style of driving and length of commute.

I ended up getting a set of winter wheels because the car got squirrely going 30mph in 6-8" of slush on a slight curve on the expressway during a heavy snowstorm and it scared the crap out of me; especially with a semi not too far behind. It got me through last year's worse storms, but I wasn't willing to try that again.

Archived