LegacyGT.com

I went to a local Toyota dealership today to look at the Avalon and...(amusing story)

The sales guy is like ohhh the Avalon has this and that, and has lots of power. ok cool. I almost fell out of the Avalon when he said "Bring you parents by and I give them good test drive." But I kept my professional composure (and didn't laugh) - I must say - the inside of that car is huge - like a stadium.

After that, I walked by the Tc because I was curious. He follows me and goes "oh Tc is nice car - you want a Tc." I tell him I am only curious and just bought a new car a few months ago. He asks me what car and I tell him the Legacy - he's like oh that car is expensive - a Tc is only $17K - and asked if I want to come by with my Legacy and do a trade :lol: I polietly say no thank you. He goes "that LGT is a fast car," I tell him I know :D and he says "your parent get the Avalon - you can race them" :lol: That was too funny!!!! Then he tells me everything about the Tc. Normally, I would be ticked (having to listen to a sales guy who doesn't know much about the car) - but he was on the mark with all the specs and really knew his stuff.

Btw... I am NOT going to trade my Legacy for a Tc :lol: I thought it was an amusing dealership story.

- Mike

Yes, but I find them to be a lot more friendly, helpful, and know the product they are selling a lot more than the native english speaking sales people from my dealership experience last year.

This guy knew his stuff - I could tell right off the bat this guy not only did his homework, but also studied every nook and cranky and obscure detail and spec of the cars he was selling. He didn't need to say "let me look that up," which I saw a lot when I was shopping for a new car last year. I went to one Audi dealership, where the sales person was stumped on the TT - a model that was going into its fifth year of production!!!

I purschased my Legacy from a salesperson who was not a native english speaker. Why, because I was treated with the upmost respect, he knew the product, he worked with me to give me a good deal, and also gave me trust and was helpful. I didn't get this at the first two Subaru dealerships I went to (...or this disgraceful Audi dealership - Bell Audi). What spoiled the deal on my Legacy was his management didn't have their act together, nor did the department that handles getting the car the registation. But the sales person I had was on the top of his game, his management should take notes on how things should be done and follow his lead.

Sorry I was not trying to bash on non native english speaking persons if he knew his stuff, and was professional then more power to him. I have encountered many sales people, who it seems go out of their way to know almost nothing about their product. Very disheartening, especially when a person is getting ready to spend a big heap of money. Consumers deserve to know about what they are buying, and if a sales person is a dunce then they should not get your business.

By the way what model did you look at? Touring, Limited etc.?

No, I didn't see your post in anyway as bashing.

I was looking at the Limited - light gray interior with the wood trim - for a luxury car - it hits a home run. I was also amazed at the gas mileage - especially for such a huge car - 31mpg on the highway, uses 87 octane, and is 280 hp!!!

As we're on the topic of dealership - the worst I've ever encountered was Bell Audi in NJ. A salesperson named Gus completely treated me with absolute contempt and disrespect - got snappy with me - told me not to waste his time (think of the rant Kim Jong Il did in Team America about wasting his time), and then told me to come back with a check for the car and then he might help me. He then turned his back on me and walked away. Maybe that's why Audi TT's are so rare in my area, because in order to adquire one you have to do business with Alpha Hotel's like this guy :lol: :lol: :lol:

- Mike

Now that is a bad dealership! One point to correct though, the new 3.5L V6 requires 91 octane to achieve maximum power. Of course it is safe to run on lower fuel grades in a pinch, but for best performance, and economy 91 is needed. If you look in the brochure at the engine specs there will be an asterisk and at the bottom of the page it tells you those numbers are based on 91 octane. Still even using premium achieveing 31mpg on the highway is impressive, you can thank variable valve timing on the exhaust valves for that, and the extra top end power.

Hey Subaru are you listening? We want double vvt, double vanos, or whatever you would like to call it and we want it now! Also we would like smart key, at least those of who know what it is.

I like the smart key feature, the button starter is very cool, maybe they should put the heated and air conditioned seats in the Tribeca since they're aiming upscale with that model. Navigation option - hint hint :D

Subaru should do a comparision of the Audi A4 and the Legacy GT Limited - and show that the Legacy is superior.

:lol: Gus: "The Audi is a far more superior car than that the stuff other companies sell..." :lol He actually said that!!!

I think Subaru is on the right path and I'll probably be in the Subaru family for many years to come.

I really like the Tribeca, and also like the pics I'm seeing of the 2006 Forester. With the Legacy, this model is very nice and I see them only improving on it and adding more features.

- Mike

Gus, Gus, Gus, what are we gonna do with you son? Sounds like you need a good taste o' the cat-o-nine tails! Floggings for everyone! What a D-bag.

You are right Suabru should do a comparison of the A4 and the Legacy, and not just the rather brief ad extolling our car's superior acceleration.

I look forward to seeing a Tribeca in the sheet metal so to speak, I wold also like to see a slightly larger sedan than the Legacy with more luxury features and maybe a turbocharged H6. That would be a very neat car, but maybe too upmarket too fast. An H8 would be interesting too for that matter, that would be a unique sound.

Take H8 apply one or two turbochargers, charge around 40K (as long as we are dreaming) for vehicle containing said sick motor, keep weight to a minimum say 3600-3800lbs. Enjoy destroying RS6's, M5's and other cars.

Ah... if only I could find a really ambitious machine shop that could CNC a 5.0L H8 based on the 2.5L short block architecture, and any other needed pieces: heads, crank, manifold etc. Find someone to program an ecu for it, and then cram it under my hood. Probably would not fit, but you could'nt blame a guy for trying. I guess I'd also have to really upgrade the tranny and diffs too, as well as brakes. Anyone got 50k I can have?

Dude, I have been clamoring for weeks for a mid-engined open class rally sports car, and a street homologation special, with a 5.0 liter flat-8 with twin turbos. Of course it is a fantasy, but a fun one to think about..

Something to really blow the weeds off those rally courses.

a "normal" H8 of 4.0 liters, based on the 2.0H4, and 3.0H6, Naturally aspirated, or turbocharged, and then a full-on twin turbo 5.0 flat 8 based on a "doubled" 2.5 STi mill would be the ultimate. For the B9 Tribeca, yeah, that's it... for that...

AVCS (I think that is what Subaru calls it) on both sets of cams might be good. twin turbos (for 3.0H6) would be better, and Subaru has already done that for their B11s concept car, and you know they have one that runs (well) in their skunk-works.

Is that the coupe you are talking about mike?

I think it is a gigantic oversight for Subaru to ignore the coupe market, especially in the Impreza lineup, but I think they seriously could use one from the legacy lineup as well, about the size of that B11S concept.

However, I don't really like the B11S. the design is trying too hard to be "nuveau", has the ugly corporate face with far too pronounced chin in the airdam. The side windows emulate what now is a Maserati Quattroporte, and other european cars that have tall, rectangular rear quarter windows, which I don't find as graceful as triangular.

I'd ditch the quarter doors as well, which are what require those taller windows (or a gigantic C-pillar blind spot) I look at it this way. If you need the utility of 5 doors, buy one of subaru's wagons, which are no slouches. If you want a coupe, 2 or three doors are the way to go.

I think Jag's new lightweight coupe, which will become the next xk, is right on target, but for a higher priced market.

Build the same format as a subaru, on the Legacy platform, with a nice long wheelbase, short overhang on the rear (front is harder due to the AWD coming from the transaxle, rather than a seperate front diff, in front of the engine.) with 2+2 seating, and a nice ammount of load space under a fast-back hatch, and you'd have a winner in my book. Oh, and style it the vein of the Legacy sedan, with a modest measure more agression. and no horseshoe corporate grille.

Shrink that down again, (or do a hot-hatch style for something slightly different, like Audi's A3 3-door, with tapering quarter windows...) load it up with the future-current STi drivetrain, on the next WRX's hard points, along with the sedan and wagon formats, and you'd have something that would clean the clocks of the likes of the RSX, Eclipse, Tc, Sentra SE-R, Cobalt SS Supercharged, SRT4, the Cooper S Works, and especially the new Civic SI that they released at the Chicago auto show... Hopefully also whichever number they add to the end of the Lancer Evolution by then.

Anyway, glad you had a good time at the toyota dealer. Here's hoping for more fun, rather than less fun visiting Subie dealers in the future.

Anyway, glad you had a good time at the toyota dealer. Here's hoping for more fun, rather than less fun visiting Subie dealers in the future.

Thanks. I have to visit the Subie dealership soon - have to get the first service done - I got about 2900 miles right now on it. While I'm there, I'll take a close look at the Forester XT, because I wish I test drove one when I was shopping for my Legacy. I'll also check out what accessories they have for the Legacy, like if they have the arm rest extension and crap like that.

- Mike

Well, I found a shop that would have no problem making the H8 block, at least if you can believe their web site. Check out www.cnblocks.com and their special projects. They claim they will work with you to build a block to your specks. As a side note they machine out of forged aluminum billets, with iron liners. I guess they supply the NHRA crowd, stong enough to run nitro-methane should do for pump gas. Ha Ha Ha. Only one downside the standard blocks they list are in the $7000 range. Ouch.

The heads I don't know about, but I would imagine that two existing STI manifolds would bolt into place if the heads were propperly designed, you could just run the beast like two four cylinder engines if needs be. Aston Martin did it with the supercharged V8 Vantage. The crank should be easy enough Lunati could do it, cams should'nt be that bad either once firing order is established.

Of course I still have no idea how to cram it under the hood of the Legacy.

the crankshaft and bearings might be the hardest to design on this one. cutting down two ej257 cranks, and forging one that is the combination of both, but the rear one 180degrees out of phase witht the front. (still a 180 degree crank, like two h4s running pulley to flywheel, one being half a revolution behind the other) Hopefully that would get the firing sequence into four sequential rotations along each side of the engine, suitable for twin turbos, one on each side.

EDIT: I forgot/was mistaken. It would have to be a 90 degree crank in order to get each side to run like an flat inline 4. a 180 degree crank with 8 cylinders would just have 4 pistons hitting on two occaisions every revolution. those would be big pulses for a turbo (and the drivetrain). 4 pulses of two pistons (one per bank) per revolution would be much smoother, and have those dual turbos spinning smoother. a 12 cyl would likely run well with a 60 degree crank.

Double length camshafts might be easier, depending on the bearing arrangement between the cylinders on the H4, and if it is feasible to repeat them twice more before the rear bearing. wouldn't want the cams to "walk" in their bearings, after all... Likely the existing design would do well extended.

The block and head would basically be like cutting an ej257 block vertically from side to side along the bore centers. a front secion, middle section, and rear section. Duplicate the middle section twice more, then stick the front and rear sections back on.

Water jackets and oil galleys would hopefully line up, and would hopefully maintain enough pressure to remain effective. Dry sump with several scavenge pumps (like porsche GT3/turbo) would be best, otherwise a nice long oil pan would be in order.

Intake manifold could be turned lengthwise. Run two tapering cross-section manifolds lengthwise with individual runners going to the heads. then you get into short runners direct, or long runners in a crossfire pattern, or both with butterfly valve changeover for variable runner length.

Personally, I'd love to see individual throttles,(look kinda like Weber Down-drafts...) or BMW-like valvetronic with no throttle blades. double the 2.5's ignition system, or get an aftermarket ignition system.

A Subie 6 speed (aren't they developing a new one?) or a getrag porsche trans. put it in the kit-racecar of your choice. Would be better with the front and rear diffs seperated from the transmission/center diff. or a front facing jack-shaft and the side-output halfshafts run to the rear wheels for a killer mid engine AWD setup.

Or you could go really nuts, and develop a ~7.5 liter flat 12, (6 liters from a 2.0/3.0H6 base) and get real monster, sort of an alternative to a Ferrari 512TR. dual or quad turbos. Supercar engine.

Actually, several variations are available on the 2.0/3.0 vs 2.5 vs 2.5-bored-to-2.8 capacities, and expanding them outward...

H6 is already a 3.0R, could be 3.75 liters, or 4.2 liters.

H8 would go from 4 liters, 5 liters, or 5.6 liters.

H10 would go from 5 liters, 6.25 liters, or 7 liters.

H12 would go from 6 liters, 7.5 liters, or 8.4 liters.

those are simple calculations, based on rounded liter capacities. With more precise CC measurements of per cylinder volume, more precise estimates could be made.

Just some thoughts...

Archived