LegacyGT.com

Wiper Blade Wind Deflector Replacement?

Stang70Fastback

As you know, I've got a 98 Outback. I was washing my car the other day in one of those self-serve bays, and I had the wipers up to clean them. I forgot to put them down, and as I walked around the hose that hangs down swung past and knocked them back onto the windshield. Unfortunately, both of the blades spun around before they slammed down so the right blade's metal support hit the windshield and cracked it, and the left one landed on that wind deflector and snapped it off (went sailing out of the bay, lol.) Kind of sucks. I'll replace the windshield when the crack spreads but I can't find that wind deflector anywhere. Subaru won't sell me one because they don't have them anymore. Anyone know where I could find one? Or am I gonna have to go junkyard hunting?

We replaced ours on the '06 with a Bosch Icon. Supposedly has the aero built in, so there's no need for the wing.

On your '98 (we had one, but I can't remember) was the lost wing mounted to the arm or the blade?

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

The PIAA SuperSporza replacement wiper (not just the refill) comes with the wing. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

We replaced ours on the '06 with a Bosch Icon. Supposedly has the aero built in, so there's no need for the wing.

On your '98 (we had one, but I can't remember) was the lost wing mounted to the arm or the blade?

It's mounted on the arm. I don't want to have to replace the whole assembly. I mean, it's not that big a deal unless you walk up and look at it, but I do think the car looked better with it.

Oh crap, wait, you're a '98..... :redface:

Doh! I just assumed that you were a BP. Sorry!

I honestly don't know if the SuperSporzas will be what you're looking for, then.

To the best of my knowledge, the wing is to help the blade stay glued to the windshield, at-speed. I would expect that the newer generation of blades, such as the TRICO NeoForm, Valeo Ultimate, etc., would conform to the windshield enough, by their inherent "shaped" design, that the wing would not be necessary.....

I put the NeoForms on our nanny's Mariner. She really loves them.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yeah. I also figured it was to keep the blade on the glass. Strange thing is the dealership told me that even if I bought a new assembly, Subaru stopped making them with the deflector... I wonder why...

I guess I'll have to find an old Subaru to pillage somewhere.

• 5 weeks later...
Useless bump, but I've decided after today's 8-hour-long drive up from VA to NJ through that snowstorm, that not having that wind deflector is a serious danger. At speed the left half of the blade wouldn't even hit the windshield on the down stroke and just skittered across on the way up... so I couldn't see well through the rain. Then it turned to sleet and... well... it got worse, lol. Gonna replace that thing ASAP now.

I'd also suggest just stopping at the nearest PepBoys, AutoZone, etc, and picking up one of the new generation wiper blades, with built-in aero, especially since you seem to need a fix NOW. We're using Bosch Icons on all ours, including the '06 LOB. On that, the OEM blade has a wing.

Maybe a later OEM Subaru blade would work?

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Stang, what brand/model wiper are you using, that's causing the aero-lift issue?

Although I think that there's definitely going to be aero-differences between your Legacy and the BL/BPs, I can't but wonder why, so far, we've not heard anything of the sort from those of the BL/BP generation that use, as OhBe1 and I previously mentioned, the new-generation wipers, with built-in aero considerations, as well as with highly-conforming blades, i.e. Bosch Icon, TRICO NeoForm, Valeo Ultimate.

And I guess the only other thing to do would be to see if your front blade is capable of being cross-fitted for the BL/BP wiper replacements, if PIAA does not carry the SuperSporza in your particular model year, outright.

Useless bump, but I've decided after today's 8-hour-long drive up from VA to NJ through that snowstorm, that not having that wind deflector is a serious danger. At speed the left half of the blade wouldn't even hit the windshield on the down stroke and just skittered across on the way up... so I couldn't see well through the rain. Then it turned to sleet and... well... it got worse, lol. Gonna replace that thing ASAP now.

Replace them with ICONs and you won't have any worries.

Yeah, my plan right now is to get new blades. The problem is I'm using the "winter blades" that Subaru talked me into buying. They've got huge frames that are wrapped in plastic to "push show" but it's just pointless and all it does is provide a huge cross section... that and the blades themselves suck. So yeah - what brand should I get. I'm tempted to get those Rain-X ones... the curvy ones but no one seems to have suggested those yet.

How much would a new blade assembly with "built-in aero" cost? I would assume it'd be at least $100?

EDIT: All those low-profile contouring blades like the Bosch and stuff look cool, but I've been reading and it sounds like they're horrible in winter. Ice apparently builds up on them easily. However I have the heated strip in the windshield so is that something to not be concerned about? We were driving today and my dad's Audi - without the strip - had that very problem.

I think ice buildup is unavoidable, on any blade.

That's what the windshield heater, as well as windshield washer, should take care of. ;) I've had PIAAs on our various cars since the winter of '05-'06, and I've never had icing issues. I don't use my windshield heater, either - just liberally spray. :lol: Despite being able to concoct my own, I tend to just store-buy the fluid, and I've always favored the RainX snow/ice formula, despite the fact that it tends to leave a residue/film on the surrounding paintwork and unswept areas (which does neither area any harm).

I just got a set of NeoForms for my father-in-law, yesterday - '09 Camry V6 LE. Out-the-door price here in Cleveland, Ohio, at the local Advance Auto, was $36, with tax included. No special pricing/sales. I wanted to try the Bosch Icons, but they were out, in his size. As-is, it was the last passenger-side sizing that I snagged, of the NeoForms. It appears that these are all the rage, this year.

My nanny arrived on Friday AM, a day of precip. in various frozen forms, without any complaints of her windshield wipers (NeoForms). I'll be sure to ask her more about it when I see her again on Monday.

How much would a new blade assembly with "built-in aero" cost? I would assume it'd be at least $100?

Unlikely, since I would not have bought them!

Under $20 each.

As for ice, spray them with silicone. That will at least help get the ice off.

Unlikely, since I would not have bought them!

Under $20 each.

I mean like the whole wiper arm, since I thought that's what they were referring to.

Either way, doesn't matter. I showed this thread to my dad (since I asked for new wipers for xmas, lol) and he told be he got the Bosch Icons :)

:) Let us know how he likes them.

Indeed, what we referred to was the entire assembly of the WIPER itself, not the wiper arm.

For the wiper arm, that's usually a factory/aftermarket-order component. While the wiper blade inserts and wipers are both easily available and (in most cases, after sizing has been confirmed) easily cross-install capable (via the use of included adapters), the actual wiper arm is considered a much more specialized component.

On our BL/BP '05+ Legacies, the aero "wing" on the driver's side is mounted to the wiper, not its arm.

Glad to hear it, Stang ! :D

Did you see any aero lift?

Archived