LegacyGT.com

Autocross tire. hoosier A6 vs Kuhmo V710

peteyjr

From a Nasioc thread on autoxing the 09 WRX:

"THE tires to get for AX'ing are the Dunlop Star Z1's and/or the Bridgestone RE-01s. You'll want 235/40/17's. Not enough info yet on the new Kuhmo's. The Z1's are an excellent deal!"

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The Dunlop Star Spec Z1's are excellent summer tires, I'll give them that. I used a set of them autox'ing this season (and will probably use them again if there's an autox in the damp/rain). Moving from A/S's (ContiExtremes) to these (Z1 Star Specs), I easily cut two seconds off my time.

But with that said, R-Comps are still vastly superior to any of the extreme summers in the market. I haven't driven on R-Comps yet, so I can't give you the answers your looking for between the A6 and V710, but am doing so next season (starting with a used set of A6's then probably going to the V710 due to my budget).

Hmmm, kinda rambled on, don't remember the point of this post. I think it was just to say:

r-comp > summer > a/s

Depends on how you drive but I remember whitetiger talking about his tires and they lasted him one or two events short of a season (so about 10 events, 6-8 runs per event).

If you really want to, you probably could drive with them on to event but that's probably not the best idea (extra unnecessary wear, could probably die if you touched a patch of water or something). I just bought a set of tire totes so I can throw them in the car and swap them in the morning before running.

^ whitetiger also co-drove with his friend for 2 events, one of which as a Pro Solo which is a lot of runs. If he drove the car only himself the 710's would have probably lasted longer.

To the OP, either the A6 or the V710 would be fine. Most people here in the NNJR SCCA region run with the 710's, which is what I run on. Wear depends on how hard you drive and your driving style. There is no comparison between r-comps and a good summer tire, there is so much more grip on r-comps.

I would suggest getting the r-comps mounted on an extra set of dedicated autox wheels and bring them to the event to change there. Don't drive on the street with them, even though you can. Driving to and from events with them on will only wear them out quicker as our cars are heavy as is and would generate a lot of heat in them with them being as sticky/grippy as they are.

Thanks for the advice all. I think I'll get the 710's (when I have the $ sometime in Jan) . Ran a few events with Toyo T1R's this year but ready to step up. Luckily I have a spare set of Prodrive wheels I will mount them with. Another question, I know its been covered before but is there an ideal pressure for R compounds. I was running 40 front 38 rear but have heard a few run higher in the rear.

v710s FTW. 35 psi is a good starting point. depending on hot hot you get them you may have to adjust. the tires are very sensitive to psi changes so getting it right mean that much faster of a run. also when you get them, get them haet cycled. tirerack.com will do it for a fee. it wil help them last longer and wear evenly.

If you want an R-comp that lasts more than a season, try the new Toyo R888's. They may not be as fast as the v710s or A6s but if you're new to the sport or on a budget, the R888's will last longer than those faster tires.

Peteyjr - I don't know what your experience is on r-comps or in autox but you don't want to be learning on v710s or A6s. You'll just be wasting rubber and $$$.

I"m no autocross newbie, Ran 3 years on an old school GTI and ran DS's and solo on a prepared Bimmer in the 90's (Ran sebring raceway at mindblowing speeds) . Have run 10 events on my WRX and around 5 on my LGT. I'm not the ultra competitive type and can't relate tothe ego's out there. Just do it for fun (could care less about a points race). But still want to go faster (other than the race carts I do on occasion).

R compounds just aren't in the cards for me right now because of storage space and the limited number of events I can compete in.

I'm debating whether to sell the OEM Dunlop R1's as take-offs and get a better but still streetworthy tire, like the Goodyear F1 GS D3's I had on the OBW.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived