LegacyGT.com

Subwoofer

So I've read a lot about the stock subwoofer I can buy to install under the drivers seat. Is it worth it and how much of an improvement does it give? Also how much and where can I find besides the stealer. And also, how the heck do I install the b*tch. Thanks:spin:

It gives a little extra thump to the system.

It isn't drastic, but if you aren't an audiophile, then this would be for you.

Otherwise, go aftermarket.

Installation is simple if you have removed car stereos before.

You have to remove the center console and trim right up to the stereo, run the provided wire harness from the back of the HU to the Sub.

Also, unbolting the drivers seat. You just need to slide it back, not remove it. It comes with some pretty good instructions.

It basically a little block about the size of a cigar box that has a shallow 6" speaker built into the amp. It's pretty basic to connect and it will rattle the sphincter of whoever is sitting on that seat, but it's not going to rattle windows as you drive through the hood.

You can find them in a few different places for a lot less than the dealership. You can watch the For Sale pages here and get a used or you can watch Ebay, Amazon or other auction sites for new and used subs. You might also try the For Sale threads on NASIOC.

Let's kick this pig!

I like mine alot, but I'm half deaf from years around turbines(steam and gas).

If you're ever in C-bus, you can try mine out.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I like mine alot, but I'm half deaf from years around turbines(steam and gas).

If you're ever in C-bus, you can try mine out.

Sweet I appreciate it. I was just curious on whether it was worth the money. Now that I got some money saved up just for the car I wanted to do a few mods. My main ones were the blacking out of the tail and head lights, subwoofer, and painting my calipers. If I'm ever heading down to the Columbus area I'll make sure to send you a PM.

The rest of you guys thanks also. I visited eBay and saw that they ranged from 180-200 bucks. Those were for the Subaru ones. Is that a respectable price?

I visited eBay and saw that they ranged from 180-200 bucks. Those were for the Subaru ones. Is that a respectable price?

No ,I've seen these sell on Nasioc/Iclub/ClubWRX for a $100 or less.Alot of guys over there are into the high end stereo stuff and replace the stock one quite often.

^ Do not buy new. Definitely not worth the money unless you can pick up a used one.

It provides decent mid-bass response and acts as a filler, but I would NOT consider it a nice thump by any means. If you are looking for bump in the trunk, go pick up a real sub and amp.

And when buying used make SURE that it comes with the wiring harness intact,not cut..Without it your SOL.

Not quite SOL, it just adds some time and wire stripping to the install.

Don't ask me how I know this;)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Well for the non-electricians, that harness costs more than the whole sub unit brand new.

So, be careful what you buy on Ebay used.

Mine came to me clipped from buying it on here. I had the sub side, but the radio side was clipped. It's not the end of the world, just a PITA

I installed a small bridgeable amp and 12 inch sub in the trunk that sit in the spare tire wheel well (the spare still fits). I used particle board and traced the original cardboard floor onto it and cut out a whole for the sub to drop in, then installed carpet over the board. Works great, takes up no room and is much better than the OEM subwoofer. I had Best Buy install a RCA hookup and they even dropped down the signal wire for me all for about 50 bucks. I did the rest.

Sweet I appreciate it. I was just curious on whether it was worth the money. Now that I got some money saved up just for the car I wanted to do a few mods. My main ones were the blacking out of the tail and head lights, subwoofer, and painting my calipers. If I'm ever heading down to the Columbus area I'll make sure to send you a PM.

The rest of you guys thanks also. I visited eBay and saw that they ranged from 180-200 bucks. Those were for the Subaru ones. Is that a respectable price?

I purchased mine from Subarupartsmall.com for about $175 brand new. It ships from the closest Subaru dealer to you with the item in stock at the time of purchase. Total ended up being about $185 shipped. Came with everything I needed (wiring harness, instructions, and sub woofer).

I just bought an '05 Limited and one of the only things I didn't like was the sound system. I had them put in the factory subwoofer for me (which cost an additional $250 altogeher). Now it sounds just like the Infinity Gold sound system I had in my Grand Cherokee. Only reason I had the dealership do it was so they couldn't find a way to void any part of the warranty if something electrical went wrong. It's not gonna make it BUMP, but, It drastically improves the sound.

I just bought an '05 Limited and one of the only things I didn't like was the sound system. I had them put in the factory subwoofer for me (which cost an additional $250 altogeher). Now it sounds just like the Infinity Gold sound system I had in my Grand Cherokee. Only reason I had the dealership do it was so they couldn't find a way to void any part of the warranty if something electrical went wrong. It's not gonna make it BUMP, but, It drastically improves the sound.

That has always been the point. Unless you are a COMPLETE audio snob, the factory system with sub is perfectly fine.

I installed mine a week ago and it is a big improvement over the just the door speakers. It will thump hard if you turn up the base on the head unit. I bought it used on ebay and it came with all the parts. Subaru has the instructions to install it on their web page. It is not too hard if you have installed the cabin air filter before. Just make sure you have the right tools to take out the seat bolts. There is another post where a guy stripped his bolts taking the seat out.

That has always been the point. Unless you are a COMPLETE audio snob, the factory system with sub is perfectly fine.

I am not a huge fan of mine, but I wouldn't want to do without it.

I got spoiled as hell with my system in my last LGT. The stock subwoofer seems to just rattle whatever is in the side compartments on the door cards.

Archived