LegacyGT.com

Cobb vs Rom Raider (Open Source tuning)

thorne

I know that this was the case, but I know for sure several Cobb 'certified' Protuners are also using OpenSource & Cobb. So something must have changed with their contracts.
Here's the email from my tuner...

We are contracted with COBB not to use OpenSource so it would need to be

COBB AP, EcuTek or stand alone ECU so best option would be COBB AP. If you

buy the AP through us we cover tax so it would be $695 OTD and we would do

the first tune for $300 instead of $350. Let me know.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the email from my tuner...

I didn't doubt you in the least, it was this way for a long time, but its odd that some tuners are getting 'out' of this contract. Like I said I know several Cobb ProTuners that are using OpenSource also whether they openly advertise it or not.

I didn't doubt you in the least, it was this way for a long time, but its odd that some tuners are getting 'out' of this contract. Like I said I know several Cobb ProTuners that are using OpenSource also whether they openly advertise it or not.
No no that's not what I posted that. I was just showing how that subject is addressed with licensed Cobb vendors. My bad. I should have explained. Anyways I'm wondering now which reputable shops in NorCal dyno tune via open source. I promised the wifey I wouldn't mod the LGT so she'll put my nuts in a vice if I drop almost a grand on an AP and dyno tune.

We are contracted with COBB not to use OpenSource so it would need to be

COBB AP, EcuTek or stand alone ECU so best option would be COBB AP.

That's interesting - I thought I read somewhere that Cobb said they didn't do that. So, his contract with Cobb does not allow him to tune with OS, but Ecutek, another competitor, is ok. If that is true, that is pretty heavy-handed. Or maybe it was just that tuner trying to force customers to a commercial solution, where maybe he can charge more and have a higher profit margin (even after fees), without having to say why he doesn't tune with OS (i.e. "its out of his hands").

^ I've read from other Cobb ProTuners before(couple years ago) said that said that they were contracted by Cobb not to use OS solutions. But recently I believe something has changed because I'm seeing more & more Cobb Protuners offering OS tunes.

I'm sure Cobb has some prerequisites to carrying their tuning software but (and this is purely just a guess) I think it has more to do with the tuner than Cobb. This particular tuner has an excellent relationship with Cobb so, rather than just being another AP vendor, it sounds like they've positioned themselves as more of a business partner.

Archived