LegacyGT.com

LGT Stage 2 whips Supra Turbo

The NA Supra was a quick car, but a stock LGT would take it.

The last gen NA Supra ran 14.9's at 93ish mph.

Intake, Exhaust might give it a bit more power but doubtful the 30 horses

at the crank you are stating, and still nowhere NEAR enough to hang with a stock LGT much less a Stage 2.

The Auto TT Supra was fast as well with 1/4 times around 13.9 @ 100 mph.

Basically a drivers race with a stock LGT from a stop, but would pull on a stock LGT from a roll.

Stage 2 modifications usually means: intake, complete exhaust (up and down pipes) and stage 2 reflash. I believe Landshark also has Perrin TMIC, LW crank pulley, and a few other things.

He's EASILY added 70-80 awhp (to the ground) on his car, or minimum 285 awhp.

This would not only be enough to dispatch a stock STI, but would give him the power to walk on the last gen TT Supra (especially the auto) that he seemed to think was pretty much stock.

I think a stock STI and a 93-97 stock TT Supra auto would be a close race from a roll, and the STI might just pull ahead. From a standing start the stock auto TT Surpa wouldn't have a chance.

I'm having trouble with this one. Been thinking about this race since yesterday.

I believe the account, but cannot accept that this was a turbo model. They pull awfully, awfully hard on the highway, and a NA Supra with custom exhaust and intake would be putting out around 250 horse, which would produce the close Legacy victory recorded here.

Before anyone gets bent over my opinion though, I have some questions.

1) Will a Legacy stage II (I'm not entirely familiar with your mods, so feel free to elaborate on what "stage II" means) best a stock STi in a highway race like this one?

2) Would, in your opinion, a stock STi outperform a stock automatic Supra TT in a highway race like this one?

I think the answer to both questions is no.

But I have another trivia question:

What would a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (323 crank hp @ stock form) with ported heads and a T3 turbo make in terms of power? Frankly, I could care less what the real power would be since the 1989 stock tranny can only go up to 158 mph for theoretical top speed and the Legacy GT is at 145 mph

The 1989 Supra Turbo made 232 hp @ 5600 rpms

and 254 tq @ 3000 rpms.

Had a curb weight of 3600 pounds.

Ran mid 6's to 60 and

around 15 flat in the 1/4

As for the ported heads and T3 turbo added. Well, it depends on his boost but I'd venture to say 50-80 whp.

come on guys, I was there! It was definately a Supra TT. someone earlier posted that all '96 Supras TTs were automatics. That would explain why we were very close in power and speed.

as for the questions about a LGT Stg 2 outgunning a stock STi and all that....only time will tell. If I ever get the fortune of coming on a (hopefully) stock STi and the guy is willing to have some fun without getting angered in the process, then I will be more than happy to oblige.

Next Sat. 2/26, is when i get to re-dyno my LGT at HarmanMotive. I will post up the graph by Sat. night. Then the answer to "how much power" its making will be there. My only concern now, is that the standard Stage 2 map for my Cobb AP is most likely not taking full advantage of my new perrin TMIC. Perhaps it is. The only real way to find out is to pay for a ECUTek tune and see if that extracts meaningful more power. But I don't have an extra several hundred bucks sitting around. Anyone want to fund my scientific experiment??

I know several Supra owners (automatics even) that have exhaust as their only mod. Our cars have much more power in 3rd gear + than in the first two because they can finally hold a gear long enough to make boost with the tiny stock turbo. This means we've got a better top-end pull than the trap speeds alone would indicate.

Also, if the run started closer to 60 than to 70, that's a killer dead spot in a stock-twin Supra automatic. A 70 roll with the OD off is very nice; start under that and you're caught in the doldrums for several seconds -- it's very frustrating if you're the driver.

97 was the last year of the Supra, but 96 was the year of "only automatic twin turbos".

I don't doubt the claim; why would anyone make up a race story in a Legacy?

(and, to take this even further off-topic, my brother is now restoring his 89 Supra n/a and it will be packing 11-sec power)

Correctiion = last year of supra TT was 98 not 97 ;)

Supras with basic performance upgrades - intake exhaust and boost control are usually putting down around 300 rwhp. Supras only problem was they sometimes blew one of the turbos. Other than that its super rock solid :)

Jeff

Blowing one of the turbos is a good thing - it's why you end up with a single. I call that a "forced upgrade opportunity". :D

That's why my brother's was packin' a single. Just don't expect to remove the stock turbo setup without a fight - it's a huge PITA.

Archived