LegacyGT.com

LGT Stage 2 whips Supra Turbo

First chance to really test my LGT and its recently new Stage 2 + TMIC power. Driving home a very well-maintained, red Toyota Supra pulled aggressively in front of me. His intentions were clear. License plate was "96 SUPRA". Did a check to confirm that the '96 Supra does have the 3.0 liter twin-turbo option with 320 hp. I am certain that he had the turbo because of the wing and the very decent power.

He was patient after jumping right in front of me. Traffic was heavy for about 5 miles and he never changed lanes from the inside "fast" lane even though there were a few opportunties to do so. It was clear he did not want to do the traffic weave thing and neither did I.

When traffic lightened up, he jumped over and hit the gas. First run was maybe from 70-100 mph. I was already in 4th gear. First few seconds only had me staying right on his bumper. But when I realized that I was not fully into the pedal I decided to pull one lane left and was able to get about 2+ car lengths ahead.

Traffic came up again. Both of us waited patiently again. This time he was right behind me. Few miles more and the road opened up for a good mile ahead. I moved one lane right but waited a second before applying full force in 4th gear. Absolutely no doubt about it. He punched it for all his Supra had. We were door to door handle until about 85 mph. Then my LGT Stage 2 power came alive as the tach reached 4-5 grand. God, this thing pulls hard in the 100+ mph range. Easily got a 4+ car length advantage before approach traffic warranted braking down.

He was 2 lanes over when he pulled along side again. He rolled down the passenger side window (dark tinted) and gave a big smile and thumb's up. THAT WAS A GREAT FEELING! He exited a few more miles ahead but never accelerated hard or tried to pass really. He knew what just happened.

I can't wait to get back to HM next Sat. to do my dyno runs and verify what I believe to be very close to 300/300 whp/wtq. Naysay all you want. But this is the God's honest truth. Oh, he also had a big fart can exhaust on with at least a 4" port.

Nice run...

I doubt highly 300/300 the stock turbo definitely dosent have enough CFM even in perfect flow condidtions to support those numbers on pump gas no matter what you do.

As much as I like the LGT.

Bolt on TT supras are NUTS. They can put out over 400whp/400wtq with a few simple boltons.

http://www.suprastore.com/450hppackage.html

With basicly just a turbo back and some boost control.

Im curious if it really was a TT tho. The NA can get the whale tail as well. Because even a BPM supra should knock the hell out of basically anything on the road. The supra really is one car that is hard to beat in any thing... I should know I had 2 :) Course one was an 88 and the other an 87... Both turbo tho!!!

Jeff

Im curious if it really was a TT tho. The NA can get the whale tail as well. Because even a BPM supra should knock the hell out of basically anything on the road. The supra really is one car that is hard to beat in any thing... I should know I had 2 :) Course one was an 88 and the other an 87... Both turbo tho!!!

Jeff

I can assure you it was the TT package. The base Supra is only rated at 220 hp. And as we all know, factory hp ratings are at the crank - not the wheels. A base Supra could get walked by a stock LGT.

No this guy had the goods. Like I tried to say, I did not just blow past him. It was a nice, steady rush of greater power that just kept on coming ON. The Stage 2 pkg especially with the bigger Perrin TMIC, really improves the top-end (higher rpm) grunt. I mean my LGT will pull hard even when starting at say 5K rpm. You know that's territory where u don't feel much pull and it's mostly just happy noises. But with the AP Stg 2 reflash, all the goodies plus the TMIC, the LGT transforms into a real beast.

Remember, with the Supra TT rated at 320 crank hp, that means it probably puts down maybe 260 hp at the wheels. I can only guess that it wasn't "chipped" and that the fart can exhaust wasn't doing much else but sounding loud.

Like I said, the guy was cool about it. His car drove hard and was no slouth. He could probably walk on 99% of the everday cars on the road. He just found out the hard way that the LGT Stage 2 can walk 99.1%!

Ha ha ha - Supra's with fart tips. I must inform you that the ENTIRE exhaust is that diameter, at least the HKS is. The HKS is 3.75 inches the whole way back -- hardly anything to sneeze at.

A Supra with a MBC & exhaust can trap 117+ mph so it's not like they take all that much work. Their stock fuel system can support 125+ mph traps with no upgrades whatsoever. That guy is obviously afraid of messing with the boost. Maybe this encounter will spur him to open it up a bit.

^^Exactly, good run but that exhuast you speak of is highly doubted of being "just" a fart can.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- When the Levee Breaks

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Na civic owners started far can - fart can means civic if you ask me.. Bc no honda sounds good :) Supras just got out of control bc of that stupid stupid movie 2F2F.... Funny thing is the orange one in the movie isnt even that fast... Supras were taken off the market along with the 3kgt the RX7tt and the 300ztt bc sales were dropping off - bc insurance was so crazy - these were 300hp + cars = super car to insurance companies. If I recall - by 98 I think they sold some crazy low number of supra TTs something like 500 maybe? Could be even lower.. Been awhile for me :) But as a former single turbo supra owner and having gone to some meets and seen some of these beasts on the dyno... Man theres nothing beating it. If I could afford one as a second car and could find a 93.5 targa with low miles and no mods I would buy it in a heartbeat and keep it that way. It is and will be a true classic... Can anyone tell Im at work and bored??

Jeff

Theres a bueatiful white MKIV Supra Turbo down here in Wilmington for sale. You can tell its a turbo becuause it has the wing, chrome wheels, looking into the passenger side air inlet and the badge lastly on the rear. There is also a non turbo Supra with wheels and tint and a few other minors that looks great as well.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Tea For One

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

BTW, if I correctly remember all my Supra trivia, all 96 turbos were automatic. It was for that one year only, due to emissions issues.

My brother's Supra (just sold a few weeks ago :( ) :

http://finddoug.com/supra/digital/supra15.jpg

http://finddoug.com/supra/july23/supra05.jpg

I did all the wrenching under the hood. Oh, and it's "only" an automatic too, except in this case it means "Sound Performance built automatic", with a Precision Industries triple-plate torque converter. That's a small single, the SP57, which is good for ~ 550 rwhp and instant spool -- quicker than the stockers.

I'm having trouble with this one. Been thinking about this race since yesterday.

I believe the account, but cannot accept that this was a turbo model. They pull awfully, awfully hard on the highway, and a NA Supra with custom exhaust and intake would be putting out around 250 horse, which would produce the close Legacy victory recorded here.

Before anyone gets bent over my opinion though, I have some questions.

1) Will a Legacy stage II (I'm not entirely familiar with your mods, so feel free to elaborate on what "stage II" means) best a stock STi in a highway race like this one?

2) Would, in your opinion, a stock STi outperform a stock automatic Supra TT in a highway race like this one?

I think the answer to both questions is no.

the problem is that street racing victories are soo vague. If the STi jumps out of the box and whoops butt instantly and gets a 3 car lead for the next 10 seconds, isn't that a win for the STi? But wait, the Supra hits it's top speed (because an STi gearing can only do 145 mph) and the Supra pulls away at 150+ mph, Supra wins.... right? Who cares.. no one said when the race is over.

Btw, John M, the 1997s were all autos.. that was the final year of the Supra.

But I have another trivia question:

What would a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (323 crank hp @ stock form) with ported heads and a T3 turbo make in terms of power? Frankly, I could care less what the real power would be since the 1989 stock tranny can only go up to 158 mph for theoretical top speed and the Legacy GT is at 145 mph (again theoretical based on tire size and gear ratios).

[note: a 1989 Supra "raced" me tonight and had the audacity to remember my URL on my car, email me to say that he beat me in a race and want to meet me up to race for money. What a loser. Granted that we were at the light and it was an uphill, I decided to just move along up the windy hill (regardless of him). After 16 seconds of hard driving through the gears, I looked in the rear mirror and see the Supra still sitting about 5 to 7 cars back and I shifted into 4th and just creeped into [---] mph.. "what a waste of gas to prove a stupid point?", Yes. But I wasnt around to prove a point. I was just in a driving mood because it's my favorite series of turns on that road.. the poor shmuck couldnt keep his car balanced going up the hill's esses and almost lost it when he "passed" me up the hill.]

Keefe

Keefe

Archived