LegacyGT.com

09 wrx

kirbwrx

I currently own an 07 Spec.b and was thinking about trading it in for an 09 WRX premium. I cannot figure out if this is a dumb decision or not. I used to own an 04 WRX and traded it for my Spec.b and now after almost a year I am missing my WRX and want another one. Would you trade? Do you think its a downgrade in a car?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

um yeah, that's a pretty stupid decision IMO. Not saying the 09 wrx isn't a beast... but if I had an 07 spec B I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

It would be like someone trading in his 535i for a new 335i... or an A6 for an A4... pretty much the same engine but smaller and less luxurious. not too smart.

I have an 06 OBW H6, have regularly driven a co-workers LGT, and just purchased an 09 WRX 5 dr Premium.

Drove an older WRX in an autocross last year and it was just a lot more agile than the larger LGT or OBW (drove a Volvo V70R as well). Also test-drove an 08 STi this week as well: nice but I'm staying with the WRX.

There's a lot more competition: LGT's and similar sedans are rare at autocrosses, while there have been 4-8 WRX's at every one I've attended lately.

The 09 WRX has much more power and much improved handling over the 08, which most folks felt was too soft, though it wasn't really slower than the older WRX's. But the new car is substantially quieter, smoother, and better riding without giving up that agility. It also has more headroom than the LGT, which mattered to me. Several folks have done dyno runs and gotten around 230 whp: a Stage 1 tune is getting them to 260-270 whp and more torque as well.

I've ordered all-season mats, rear cargo mat, sport grille, and extended armrest. I'm planning to use the BBS RK's I have for the snows.

When it first came out the looks of the WRX were derided. But as others have introduced more hot hatches, and the shape has become more familiar, those complaints seem to have died down. It's not like the older WRX's were things of beauty.

What I find amusing is that when I point out that an H6 is nearly as fast as a 5EAT LGT or Outback XT, everyone points to the additional 15 ft lbs of torque as a mountain.

But when they're talking about the additional 15 ft lbs of torque in the lighter WRX, it's a mole hill....:lol:

All that said, you'd take such a beating on the trade-in that it would not be a good financial decision. I'ts a "want" not a "need."

You're driving an awfully nice car already.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

If you do some performance and suspension mods to the SpecB you may get what you're looking for.

The brother of a buddy owns an 04 WRX. He was going on about how his WRX (stock) would perform better than my 07 SpecB (stage 2 at that time). I laughed my ass off. Took him out in my car and he was absolutely shocked by by how well it performed. At that time my engine mods were Cobb catted DP, Autospeed CBE, Perrin TMIC and Cobb stage 2.

I was impressed with the suspension on the WRX. I've since upgraded my springs and will be getting sways in the spring.

If you trade in the Spec I assume you'll get beat up pretty bad by the dealer. Take the money you're willing to spend to get out of this car and do some upgrades.

I think you will find that it is a great combination of comfort, styling and performance.

Good luck.

If you do some performance and suspension mods to the SpecB you may get what you're looking for.

The brother of a buddy owns an 04 WRX. He was going on about how his WRX (stock) would perform better than my 07 SpecB (stage 2 at that time). I laughed my ass off. Took him out in my car and he was absolutely shocked by by how well it performed. At that time my engine mods were Cobb catted DP, Autospeed CBE, Perrin TMIC and Cobb stage 2.//

It proves the old adage, "There's no replacement for displacement." The 2.5T feels a lot better.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

"It really depends on what you're looking for in a car.. If you want a quicker more raw nimble car, then the wrx would be an upgrade. If you want a larger more well optioned and comfy sedan then the wrx is a downgrade."

See thats where I am torn, I want both. I guess I will never be happy so I will just buy an American car...ok I cant even joke about that.

Just mod the spec b. Get it to stage 2 and add a good set of coilovers. Or pick up a used '09 WRX turbo...swap it, tune the spec b...and beef up the suspension...just stiffer springs will help and sways. If you switch your going to take a big hit on depreciation.

go to a dealer and see how much you will lose on a trade-in. take that amount and see what mods you could do to your spec B to make it more to your liking. if the modded spec B still doesn't cut it for you then trade it in. i thought about trading in my 08 LGT that i've only had for 6 months w/ just under 5k to get a 09 wrx as well. but the whole trade-in process killed me when i traded in my 07 cobalt ss last year and ultimately cost me more cash than i expected.

right now im sitting pretty good with what left i owe on my spec.b, so i dont think id get hurt too bad on my trade...also since im military i could get the 09 at 2% under invoice if not lower. i miss my wrx but im afraid if i got rid of the spec.b id kick myself forever. wish i could afford my two legacys and the wrx.

• 4 weeks later...
right now im sitting pretty good with what left i owe on my spec.b, so i dont think id get hurt too bad on my trade...also since im military i could get the 09 at 2% under invoice if not lower. i miss my wrx but im afraid if i got rid of the spec.b id kick myself forever. wish i could afford my two legacys and the wrx.
I got WRX for under invoice. You can get stupid deals on cars: like $7-10,000 off and zero percent financing on leftover 08 STi's. Garryowen!

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/418072568_aEpbS-L.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I would say keep the Spec b. I have a 08 LGT stage 2 that my wife drives and I own a 08 wrx with a VF52 and full TBE and a tune (so basically a 09, I also upgraded the suspension).

i love both cars, but the legacy is still my favorite. It isn'e as fast even though it is stage 2, it is just a much nicer car inside and out. Unless you are going with a STI I wouldn't do it.

Hope this helps.

Adam

i went and drove the 09 wrx with the spt exhaust, and loved driving it. i was in the process of haggling with the dealer for it and while i was waiting for them to argue with themselves on what to give me for my spec.b i talked myself out of the wrx. yeah it was a blast to drive but i really started nitpicking minor stuff on the car that added up to too much for me to let my legacy go. the interior was way inferior, didnt mind at first but little things like the sunvisors were really cheap feeling just like on my 04wrx. powerwise felt like a big upgrade, overall wise, downgrade. i decided not to trade afterall unless its for a sti and even then it would be a hard choice. oh and on a side note, i went to a different dealer earlier in the day to look at an 08 sti and was all about buying it cause i talked them down to the price i wanted then the sales manager insulted me by offering me 19k for my spec.b. i know you get eaten up by the trade in but thats just rediculous. the other dealer offered me 24k for it on the trade in for the wrx but by the time he gave me the price i wanted i already talked myself out of the car, his loss on taking too long.

i went and drove the 09 wrx with the spt exhaust, and loved driving it. i was in the process of haggling with the dealer for it and while i was waiting for them to argue with themselves on what to give me for my spec.b i talked myself out of the wrx. yeah it was a blast to drive but i really started nitpicking minor stuff on the car that added up to too much for me to let my legacy go. the interior was way inferior, didnt mind at first but little things like the sunvisors were really cheap feeling just like on my 04wrx. powerwise felt like a big upgrade, overall wise, downgrade. i decided not to trade afterall unless its for a sti and even then it would be a hard choice. oh and on a side note, i went to a different dealer earlier in the day to look at an 08 sti and was all about buying it cause i talked them down to the price i wanted then the sales manager insulted me by offering me 19k for my spec.b. i know you get eaten up by the trade in but thats just rediculous. the other dealer offered me 24k for it on the trade in for the wrx but by the time he gave me the price i wanted i already talked myself out of the car, his loss on taking too long.
08 Sti's can be had now for up to $10,000 off MSRP, plus zero percent financing for 63 months. But with the roads around here, it seemed to be a little too firm for the kind of miles I drive. The 17 STi badges didn't enchant me, either, but the brakes, power, DCCD, and SI-Drive all make it a much more sophisticated performance vehicle than the WRX.

The GT is a GT: it's longer, heavier, rides better, and is more luxurious. The WRX is a WRX. It rides a lot better than the old models and is quite solid, but it's a much shorter [in the case of the five door], lighter, smaller inside, less luxurious and more performance-oriented car. I don't find the headliner or visors to be cheap, but dislike the shiny fabric on the seats: a local shop is checking on availability of another Katzkin kit. The HVAC and audio systems are about a wash. The 3.0R has the VTD drive system, but the WRX works fine even though it pushes more.

As I kept the 06 3.0R OBW I didn't have to make a choice. You have a nice car, hang onto it for a couple years and maybe by then we'll have the STi 380S! The 330S [325hp] does 0-100kmh in 4.4s.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I'm new but have a similar specb v. wrx predicament. i'm in a 07 miata right now and got PCS'd to laughlin afb and the roads absolutely suck for the car i'm in. I want to trade and originally wanted a 09 wrx premium 5 door but the dealer i went to (north park subaru, san antonio) didn't have any. they did have two 08 spec b and i talked them down to 27.3 with good financing, but i'm still sitting on the fence about getting that or a wrx. i think subaru of austin has some 5-door premiums.

so, i guess my questions are, and kirbwrx might be able to speak to this,

1. how does the military pricing work?

2. can the spec b chassis take a beating or would the wrx "rally inspired" chassis be better able to handle the fred flintstone era roads in a border town?

3. can the 5 door premium be had for 27.3k or less?

4. even though none are as slick slick as mx5 MT, i like the 6 speed on the spec b. the wrx 5 speed is too clunky, but i'm thinking that's probably an easy mod?

Also, ask yourself whether the difference in performance is really worth it the other sacrifices. A few years ago, I ended up buying a Boxster S instead of the base model because I like to drive fast and wanted the highest horsepower for the extra $10K. Well, today I average 32 mph in the Boxster on Long Island's crowded roads. I could have just as much fun in the cheaper base model.

Some guys just want to brag about how much horsepower is under the hood, but if you can't use it, that's a lot of cash for bragging rights. Unless you live someplace like Montana, I'm not sure how much speed means these days. I'd stay with the Spec. B., which is plenty powerful.

Archived