LegacyGT.com

Setup to increase over-steer?

Two-Five Sti-L

I'm looking to induce a bit more over-steer by adjusting my coilovers. If my logic is correct, setting the front damping softer than the rear would achieve this effect, right? Also, setting ride height to higher front/lower rear would do the trick, no?

I know that adding a stiffer rear sway bar vs. stock front bar would do it, but don't want to purchase a bar atm. Please confirm if I'm correct, thanks in advance.

Do you want to reduce understeer, or do you actually want oversteer? I think the coilover adjustments (softer front/stiffer rear) might work, but I'm not sure to what degree. Try it.

I'm not sure about ride height, as that will probably mess up your alignment - good tire contact patch while turning probably matters more than a couple of inches of ride height.

You could also try slightly high front tire pressures (35-40, depends on suspension & tire) & in the rear, either low (not less than 27-ish) or high (not more than # on sidewall) pressures to reduce rear grip. For the best bang-for-your-buck, get a larger rear swaybar. Plus get an alignment w/ significant negative camber in front (negative 1.5 or more) - If you don't have camber plates, try camber correction bolts ('05 GT takes the 16mm Ingalls I-81280 in the top position).

Ride heights make things complicated....i believe you would feel more oversteer from slightly raising your rear in many cases.

I don't like using damper settings to control the balance of the car. These should be tuned to your spring rates and used to affect "feel". Use alignment, spring rates, swaybars, tire pressures, etc. for tuning balance. You can affect corner entry and exit balance a little bit, but for steady state cornering, balance is not controlled by the damper.

- Andrew

Archived