LegacyGT.com

Creating a US Spec B?

I have looked at a number of threads on these forums and have a sense of some of the differences between the USDM LGT and the JDM LGT Spec. B. Given the outstanding reviews of the Spec B, I would like to gradually, to the greatest extent practicable, upgrade an LGT to Spec B. standards.

From what I can gather there are the following differences:

1. JDM uses 2.0 liter, vs. 2.5 for the USDM.

2. JDM has a 6-speed tranny (similar to WRX STi tranny?) vs. USDM 5-speed.

3. JDM Spec B has upgraded springs, shocks, sway bars and control arms(?).

4. JDM Spec B uses the shorter rear tail and slightly different front nose.

5. JDM Spec B uses the Brembo caliper and rotors from the 2004 WRX STi.

6. JDM Spec B uses 18" wheels and tires, USDM 17's.

Other than some trim differences (and obviously RHD vs. LHD), is there anything else?

Ideally I would like to dynamically re-create the Spec B using the LGT as a base. Certainly changing the engine and tranny are out of the question (unless of course the tranny is an easy swap, which I doubt), but re-creating the suspension and braking should be feasable at a reasonable cost.

Further details on the differences would be appreciated as would your suggestions on how to build a US-spec B.

Thanks!

I don't think the Spec B gets Brembos. I think they get the same brakes as us.

The Spec B (and the JDM GT) has a twin scroll turbo. That can be changed out so that you have a twin scroll on your 2.5.

You can open up a huge can of worms just pointing out the differences between USDM vs. JDM (McIntosh stereo option, rear window wiper, etc.), but I think you've pointed out the main things you'd need to make a USDM GT close to a JDM Spec B.

I have looked at a number of threads on these forums and have a sense of some of the differences between the USDM LGT and the JDM LGT Spec. B. Given the outstanding reviews of the Spec B, I would like to gradually, to the greatest extent practicable, upgrade an LGT to Spec B. standards.

From what I can gather there are the following differences:

Other than some trim differences (and obviously RHD vs. LHD), is there anything else?

Ideally I would like to dynamically re-create the Spec B using the LGT as a base. Certainly changing the engine and tranny are out of the question (unless of course the tranny is an easy swap, which I doubt), but re-creating the suspension and braking should be feasable at a reasonable cost.

Further details on the differences would be appreciated as would your suggestions on how to build a US-spec B.

Thanks!

The JDM one uses a 5sp just like ours less the shorter final drive. I don't think the JDM spec B got brembos.

1. Correct

2. Spec B has a 5 Speed like ours.

3. Spec B has Bilstien Struts and Springs, bigger sway bars 21mm and 19mm, Aluminum Front control arms.

4. Spec B has a different bumpers front and back, although the back bumper is the same as every other Legacy GT in japan.

5. Same brakes.

6. Spec B has 18x7 wheels.

The WRB legacy that lots of people have seen pictures of is actually just a concept type car, its really call the WR Version not WRC. It sports a lot more STI parts, probably what a STI legacy would look like if it existed.

1 - correct. 5MT gets the STi 280ps, while 5EAT gets a detuned 260ps version

2 - incorrect. its 5MT or 5EAT.

3 - correct. uses Bilsteins painted in yellow.

4 - correct.

5 - incorrect.

6 - correct. 215/40R18 RE050A riding on 18"7J.

additionally,

- twinscroll titanium turbo

- double AVCS

- HID lowbeams

- optitron meters

- electric-foldable side mirrors

- metal load sill guards, door sill guards (4 doors), pedals and footrest (drilled)

- electric rear seat release

- head unit with MD player

- height adjustable lowbeams

- in-dash cubbyhole opens upwards, dampened (Liberty's drop theirs downwards)

- ceiling sunglass cubbyhole

- patterned aluminum interior trim

ok, if you need pics, check this out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4005&highlight=spec

Holy Spec B

Sorry guys, I was confused between the two sportcompact articles, one on the S401 and another on the Spec B.

Just for reference:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0406scc_tengreat09/

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0306scc_legacy/

Despite my confusion, what about creating a Spec B/STi like car out of the USDM LGT?

I know that hp upgrades have been developed and more are coming to get hp over 300 fwhp. There seem to be a variety of suspension options out there and wheel and tire options are starting to expand. The stock brakes are pretty darn good, but I would love to have the STI (2004) brembos peeking through.

Ultimately what I am looking for is something along the lines of creating an STI, but not quite as harsh, think M3/S4, highly capable but something you could drive to work everyday. Give me your thoughts on how you would go about building her.

Ultimately what I am looking for is something along the lines of creating an STI, but not quite as harsh, think M3/S4, highly capable but something you could drive to work everyday. Give me your thoughts on how you would go about building her.

You and 93% of the board :lol:

That's exactly why I was hoping that people might have some thoughts on how to get there!:)
The current movements are new exhaust systems and engine management. Combine this with a few other goodies (Perrins TMIC, pulleys, turbo inlet hose, etc.) and you will be close if not over 300/300. I would suggest reading over the Turbo Powertrain forum. Also read over the suspension forum. So what im getting at is search, read and observe ;)

The WRB legacy that lots of people have seen pictures of is actually just a concept type car, its really call the WR Version not WRC. It sports a lot more STI parts, probably what a STI legacy would look like if it existed.

Actually, they were the 'WR Edition' cars for '05 with WRB paint, 18" Spec B wheels and Blue escaine seats, plus other goodies.

EDIT for link:

http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited

Something that is outta sight, the sus links - lots of forged aluminium suspension bits on the JDM. Front lower arm and two bits in rear. Altogether they lighten the unsprung weight a bit (actually quite a lot in relative terms IIRC), therefore helping the struts do their job better.

Check the story on apexjapan.com - a fair bit of detail covered in that I think (but I would say that, wouldn't I? ;) ).

HTH :)

Archived