LegacyGT.com

ABS noise is horrible

aigochamaloh

I tried searching, and haven't found any specific thread on it. It just started to rain here, so I decided to test out the ABS to see the threshold and how it performed. One word = horrible.

I do see that there are threads saying the ABS isn't very good, but when I got the ABS to engage, there were ugly noises coming from the front. I mean, grinding, clunking, and a nasty feel through the pedal. I know it's supposed to pulsate, but it just felt wrong, not like any ABS I've driven with.

Is this just what it is on our cars, or is there something I should worry about? I have no ABS light, so it's apparently working fine.

One thing I did find out, ABS still works if you turn VDC off.

That's what ABS sounds like when they engage. What do you expect it to sound like and feel like when the brakes are being applied/unapplied/applied 10,000 times a second?

Also, if you're running stock tires (RE92s) your ABS will engage a lot easier. A better (decent) set of shoes will help.

I know what ABS is doing, but out of all the cars I've driven, this is by far the worst in terms of noise and vibration. And it didn't really seem to stop the car very fast.

And 10,000 times a second? I don't know about that one, that seems way too fast. I'm just gonna have to drive the car as if it had no ABS, like my MR2. Threshold braking is what works best anyway.

Archived