LegacyGT.com

HK Radio for 07/08 Owners

Long Island Legacy

1.) Is it a passive sub (i.e. non-powered)? By reading this thread it sounds like all the amplification in this HK system comes from an amp under the seat, so I would assume it's a non-powered sub box. Yes, it's non-powered

2.) What size is the driver? What size is the airspace in the enclosure? Free-air 6.7" measured across for the legacy, 7.87 measured across for the Outback (outback has an enclosure, and is also DVC)

3.) How does it sound? Legacy: Like you would expect a 6.5 " woofer to sound...does not get very low, but still fills in the lower end better

4.) How low does it hang from the rear deck? Pictures anyone?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/harmankardan11.jpg

5.) Is the sub available separately? if so, what's the part number? :)

IDK

The subaru brochure and site says it should (http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/harmankardon/index.html).

On that page if you click on "System Details" there is a line saying "385-watt (Legacy) or 440-watt (Outback) 9-speaker Harman/Kardon audio system with Speed-Sensitive Auto Volume Control (SVC)"

SVC for me does not work. The manual has no mention about it, or how to adjust it. The dealer has no clue.

a few posts up 'alaskajoel' said it works for him. Did you change/adjust anything?

• 1 month later...
So am I understanding these posts correctly in saying that it is still to be determined if I can take a 09 HK headunit (and amp) and install it in my 06 LGT? Sorry for my ignorance...just want to get rid of that damn head unit in my 06!

I love how they say 'Typical Audio Package'. Should have said 'all previous models'.

Looks like the external amp has some DSP going on to adjust the staging. Considering all the speakers are in the same locations as all other years, curious how much better it sounds.

So am I understanding these posts correctly in saying that it is still to be determined if I can take a 09 HK headunit (and amp) and install it in my 06 LGT? Sorry for my ignorance...just want to get rid of that damn head unit in my 06!

I hate to be so vague and marginally helpful, but I thought I remebered

in reading one of the many other threads here that the pinout

had changed somewhere between '06 and '08. Of course, maybe it

fits phyically still (I dunno) so if you were willing to rework the

harnesses ...

• 2 months later...

I understand hooking up the regular (non-HK) stock headunit to an amp has the issue of the headunit "distoring" the output, since it's taylored to stock speakers, correct? Like reducing bass at higher volume levels?

Given the 09 have the headunit hooked up to the HK amp, would it mean the signal is not or less "distored"? Would getting the 09 unit + some aftermarket amp would work just as good as with the HK amp?

Sorry for lame questions, but I don't have much experience with car audio.

Well, the part numbers for 09 changed. So there is something in 09 headunits that's specific to HK (although they are still made by Panasonic). I am wondering if they removed or "limited" the EQ the 09 applies to the output compared to earlier models.

• 2 weeks later...
Do the Harmon Kardon headunits still have the SRS wow option? I looked on the SOA website and there is no mention of it. If they don't then that would probably justify the part number change.

No.. this was something I noticed when I sat in an 09 at the dealer here. No SRS Wow option.

• 6 months later...
I scored HK headunit and amp from a junkyard. They would not sell me speakers, so I guess I'll go with aftermarket. Did anyone with HK system upgrade their speakers? Any recommendations? I guess for the sub I'll get the OEM wagon's sub anyway.

• 7 months later...

I have always had custom stereos in all my cars and haven't yet messed with this car. My 09 Legacy sounds decent with the HK setup. Definitely lacking low end and my auto adjusting volume has never worked or is non existent. I have yet to try and look under the seat and see if I can't turn the amp up a little. I have no idea if it even has an output adjustment.

If you like low-end bass (not necessarily the kind that will shake the licence plate loose) or listen to rap music (like myself) the HK sub in the rear deck doesn't cut it. I'm going to build a custom enclosure for the trunk and swap out the head unit for one with more EQ options. This bill be easy seeing that our Legacy is just the 2.5i and doesn't have the dual hvac. Our XT Outback is going to be a bit trickier.

• 4 weeks later...
I recently went from a 09 2.5i se to an 08 gt l. I would kill to have that HK system again. The bass didn't punch too hard but it did what I needed it to do. What I miss the most is that it had a full and rich sound that I haven't yet been able to recreate. The thing I hated is that it did mess with the EQ when you turned the volume past 28 or so, but it was loud enough for me. But right now I have a nice kenwood headunit, rockford fosgate P1652-S components in the front, a RF 200 rms watt amp and pioneer 8"flat style woofer. No matter how I adjust the eq I can't get the rich and full sounding mids that the HK system had stock. The only system that sounded better than the HK ive ever heard was the Bose system in my SSEi bonneville.

Archived