LegacyGT.com

Hub Centric Ring Question

unequal

I got my new wheels in and went to put them on...to find that it seems the vendor had sent me the wrong size rings!:mad:

Before I call them up, I just wanted to be sure how they work, which I'm sure is pretty simple. Basically, they sent these black plastic rings that do fit onto the center hub, however they don't go into the center hole of the rim. The plastic rings are slightly larger in diameter then the rims center hole. I was tempted to just mount the wheels on anyway, or even file down the rings to see if I could get them to fit but don't want to take any chances (unless it's okay). So...these are the incorrect rings right?

not true.

They are required to properly center and balance the rim on the hub. Without it your likely to diminish handling and increase vibration.

Besides they are so cheap there is no good reason not to use them.

Sounds like they sent you the wrong size. Resist the urge and wait 'till you get the right ones before you mount your new wheels.

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric&sub=how

Ah man....I just got back from putting on all my wheels, but have not driven the car yet. So the centric rings ARE required?

BTW, I checked out the link you posted, but they don't have ring size for my rims, Advans. Is there another site similar to the one you posted or should I just go measure the bore myself.

Hub centric rings from an older post here

If you spin the nuts on and torque them properly, you most likey will not have a problem.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

To be clear; the rings are required to ensure that the wheel is properly centered and balanced.

You can drive your car without the rings but it may not drive as well and I see possible safety issues since your probably putting more stress on the studs.

You have to make a choice

1. Drop some coin (or get the vendor to ship you the correct rings that you have already paid for), wait to drive on your new rims and lessen if not completeley eliminate the potential for problems

or

2. Drive without, accept the risk and know that any problems that may arrise will undoubtedly cost more than $40 (the cost of the rings) to fix.

Seems like an obvious choice to me.

I've gotta go with Detslider on this. If they weren't required, they prolly wouldn't give 'em to you to begin with. Anything to save $5. If possible, get metal rings, also. The plastic ones are cheaper but the Al ones are made to higher precision and can take way more heat without distortion. Just give them a healthy coating of anti-seize before the install to prevent them from rusting in place.

mine didn't fit...... going on 2 years without them and no issues with vibrations or or safety issues yet. My mechanic said they are recommended but not a must. I suppose my car could fall apart at any moment though..... Just make sure the lugs are tightened down properly.

mine didn't fit...... going on 2 years without them and no issues with vibrations or or safety issues yet. My mechanic said they are recommended but not a must. I suppose my car could fall apart at any moment though..... Just make sure the lugs are tightened down properly.

+1

"You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous."

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Hub centric rings will help center the wheels during installation, so will conical seat lug nuts. The reason I choose to run them on any aftermarket wheel that has a larger hub bore than OEM, is to put the stress directly onto the hub of the car, and not the wheel studs. Its the same logic behind the evils of cheap wheel spacers.

People do not die on a daily basis from not running hub centric rings. I choose to run them anyways.:lol:

ignore him, he'll go away.

The conical lug nuts centre the wheel on the hub, HCRs are not required.

The studs should only be under pure torsional stress, there is no shear forces at all. The torque is transmitted to the wheels through the faces of the hub and the wheel.

Buy HCRs if you wish, along with blinker fluid and muffler bearings :lol:

We have a winner^^^

While your at the Other Useless Crap store, get a can of Elbow Grease and a Bucket of Steam, along with some 50wt ball bearings.

Archived