LegacyGT.com

Need NEW CV Boot...

CRAZY KEN

...Changed my oil a few days ago and low and behold the front passenger side cv boot is torn wide open.

Where is the best place to buy a replacement?

Has anyone heard of "The Driveshaft Shop"?

Should I be looking at getting an aftermarket/upgraded cv boot axle?

Thanks,

CRAZY KEN

...Do you have a name , address & telephone number for that business you sent it to?

Thanks,

I'll probably but a new axle and have my old one rebuilt as a spare. There is no difference from left to right just front and rear axles! I believe over a period of time 90,000 miles and being lowered for most of the time contributed to this issue!

CRAZY KEN

Frank Rehak from the Drive Shaft Shop is excellent. I'm not sure they rebuild OEM stuff. DSS makes high performance axles and drive shaft's. Great company with great customer service. Most of the import racers use his stuff.

You should be able to get you axle rebuilt from any local auto repair shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Heat from downpipe is what kills the boot. Replace it (the boot, not teh axle.... unless there is damage, then replace axle) with an OEM one and wait another 90k miles

Three years ago when I installed my Cobb DP I made a shield for that boot, a simple aluminum sheet that encircles the DP. Subarus are known for cooking that boot. I posted pics, etc.

So far my boot seems pliable but I check it every time I'm under there. Once the boot is cracked it loses the special grease inside and usually fails quickly.

I agree about the OEM vs aftermarket axels, use OEM. In another Legacy I went through three of the aftermarket ones..... which failed just OVER their warranty, before going with the more expensive OEM one. It hasn't failed yet (still in the family).

Three years ago when I installed my Cobb DP I made a shield for that boot, a simple aluminum sheet that encircles the DP. Subarus are known for cooking that boot. I posted pics, etc.

So far my boot seems pliable but I check it every time I'm under there. Once the boot is cracked it loses the special grease inside and usually fails quickly.

I agree about the OEM vs aftermarket axels, use OEM. In another Legacy I went through three of the aftermarket ones..... which failed just OVER their warranty, before going with the more expensive OEM one. It hasn't failed yet (still in the family).

Found your post:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1229571&postcount=23

Need to make something like this.

Archived