LegacyGT.com

The 96 is starting to act up!

bushbelay

1996 Legacy, 2.2L, 5 spd, 98,000 miles.

This car is starting to have all sorts of weird problems at once. A little surprised, but then again, it is 12years old!

I have an antifreeze leak that develops under the driver’s side of the car. If the car is cold and is ran for a short time it will leak when the engine is turned off. If the car is ran and brought up to a warm engine temp, there is no leak when the car sits.

My guess is a contrast of temperatures in the engine and outside air temperatures cause a gasket to not seal. That is why when it is warm, there is no leaking present.

Ok, so now what gasket(s)? The leak collects on a bolt for the oil pan. It does not come from anywhere on the front side of the thermostat, just the back side. I am hoping it is just the water pump gasket and not a head gasket. I am curious if this is an option though. If my gasket on my water pump was bad, would coolant come out of the timing belt cover, instead of behind the thermostat?

Thanks in advance.

I've got a similar phantom leak in the same spot, but mine comes and goes at random, so all i know is that its from the bottom hose of the radiator.

Yours sounds like maybe the seal around the water pump is going? Not 100% sure.

Head gasket would normally translate into mixing of oil and coolant. Do you notice a change in your oil level or in the color of either the oil or coolant?

Archived