LegacyGT.com

Rear wiper conversion has started!

tangcla

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part one: wiper stalk

This should be the easiest of all processes - literally took ten minutes, and five screws.

* Undo the one screw which holds the bottom of your steering column plastic down.

* Remove the two screws which hold the top of the steering plastic column down.

* Remove the two screws which hold the wiper stalk to the steering column.

Installation should be the reversal of the above.

Things I need:

* Windscreen washer pump: need to find a wrecker who has a pump.

* ( Windscreen washer bottle: spare, just in case I fook something up )

* Wiper bits: check, it's being freighted from Japan as we speak

I should have some updates in a few weeks' time, I'm flat out with photography on weekends for Jan and the first half of Feb so I won't have time to tinker until then.

To do:

* Determine wiper motor wiring. I found a plug under the parcel shelf, not sure if that's for the bootlid spoiler or washer pump (funnily enough, I will be needing both plugs soon :lol: )

* Run vacuum hose for water

* Test!

Update:

* Rear wiper and motor is fitted. Looks fine from the outside, all the parts required are here, in no particular order, with Subaru part numbers:

86510AG101: WIPER ASSY R 4D

86538AG030: COVER R 4D

86538AG060JC: COVER WIPER SHAFT

86542AG110: BLADE 400

86514AC000: SPECIAL NUT

904586011: TAPPING SCREW (x2)

86548AC040: CUSION A ASSY

902170045: NUT M6

86640AG100: NOZZLE HOSE ASSY 4D

86532AG100: WIPER ARM

86535AG030: CAP

Bad news... there's no wiring for the wiper motor :cry: it's a 4-pin connector - two of which are for ground - so I have to figure out what the other two wires do, and how to connect that to the wiper stalk.

So, to do list (updated):

* Need to acquire washer pump - previous seller fell through

EDIT: got the pump! $33AUD from a wrecker's as opposed to $87 new from Subaru

* Need to run vacuum line for water

* Need to fire out this stupid f##king wiring!

That looks like the stalk on the US wagon would swap to the US sedan, for the US version.

Correct - that's what I should have done in retrospect. However I couldn't find a wrecker.

I also got Japanparts to add all the parts to their catalog, if anyone wants to do a similar project. In terms of parts, it won't cost too much.

Correct - that's what I should have done in retrospect. However I couldn't find a wrecker.

I also got Japanparts to add all the parts to their catalog, if anyone wants to do a similar project. In terms of parts, it won't cost too much.

*Apologies for the thread Hijack, but we are happy to add any Parts to our Site + supply LegacyGT members at a discounted price off our website pricing ( 10% off Parts pricing )

**It is *not* possible to drill the Glass, which must be replaced for "Predrilled" Subaru glass**

Best

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

I thought someone did it in the U.S., perhaps on an Outback sedan few years back.

I admit I dig the rear wiper look on a sedan, and if sedan had one it would be one less advantage wagon has over it.

Archived