LegacyGT.com

High Mileage Maintenance

ZEDD06

What should I be on the "look for" related to repairs/upkeep on my car ('99 2.2 legacy) after 175,000 mile. I just had timing belt replaced, tensioner check, water pump checked, radiator replaced et al.

Do I need to wait on something to break or should I replace oil pumps, fuel pumps or other items before a problem. What about differential fluids.

I expect to get at least another 100K out of car. The miles are ~80% highway.

Thanks for any advice.

:lol: really? I hope you aren't really asking if you should wait for something to break before you replace it.! good way to get yourself out of a car.

search around, this question came up somewhere. you should still be following a maintenance schedule. I just don't know what it is.

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?

Do I need to wait on something to break or should I replace oil pumps, fuel pumps or other items before a problem. What about differential fluids.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Well obviously you aren't going to replace an oil pump (other than when it lets go) unless you are breaking into the engine to replace seals, or something else in the area.

If you replaced the timing belt, then would've been a good time to do that, because 1) its cheaper and less of a headache to do it all at once, and 2) you know that when it was replaced, so you shouldn't have to worry about a part like that giving out on you.

Keep your eye out on wear items, such as axle shaft boots, any type of oil leak, check all your hoses and connections.

If you are unsure about when the diff. fluids were changed, I suggest changing them, because it is possible it has been quite a while. It is suggested to only inspect the Diff. fluid every 30k miles, unless you drive the car under extreme conditions, then you would replace it.

:lol: really? I hope you aren't really asking if you should wait for something to break before you replace it.! good way to get yourself out of a car.

search around, this question came up somewhere. you should still be following a maintenance schedule. I just don't know what it is.

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?

My book does not provide guidance at 170K mile. I got a note from dealer saying my 168K maintenance is due.

Keep an eye out for the head gaskets if they havnt been replaced.

Are head gaskets really a routine maintenance kind of thing though? Especially on the 2.2. I am surprised to have read that comment for a maintenance question. . . . any thoughts?

ask them for a detailed list of what your maintenance schedule you should follow from here on out.

My book does not provide guidance at 170K mile. I got a note from dealer saying my 168K maintenance is due.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived