LegacyGT.com

Slipping in 5th.. Clutch or Transmission

phoenix96

I have my flamesuit on....

I have a spare stock flywheel, clutch, and PP in my basement for when my stocker gives up the ghost.

I've heard too many horror stories about aftermarket clutch chatter, glazing, and failure after low miles.

No flame from me...

But my OEM would also chatter when it was moist out. Even if you went with a stage 1 type clutch, your better off.

All 3 of my Legacy GT's have slipped the OEM clutch backing up in a few inches of snow. This one with the Spec2+ has never done that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is the ACT HDSS the same as the ACT HDMM ? I don't see an HDSS listed for the LGT.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that HD is for the Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and the SS is for the Performance Disc.

Is there anything else I'll want to get separately aside from the clutch kit and FW?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I've heard too many horror stories about aftermarket clutch chatter, glazing, and failure after low miles.

all the horror stories i heard of (and was part of) were related to early clutch systems that weren't actaully meant for our cars.

Since the realization that we share a clutch setup with the 06 WRX, I havn't heard of many problems and those that I have, were mostly user/installer related issues.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I put a SPEC stage 2+ on with a new OEM FW about 18mo ago after I had been stage 2 for about a year. It was a nightmare getting it installed (back and forth between SPEC and the installer pointing fingers at each other). In the end, it was great. Tiny bit of chatter occasionally, but overall held great and easy to drive. Then I went stage 3, (320whp, 345wtq) about 5 months ago. This morning my clutch finally started to slip. I'll probably go with an ACT clutch (HDG6?) and either an '06 WRX or ACT Streetlite FW.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I have the ACT clutch and WRX flywheel. Now I've got to get them installed. I don't have any attachments to or much experience with any shops in my area... Is this replacement something I should trust a dealership to do?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived