LegacyGT.com

Tranny Went KABOOM!!!

Ha Ha I thought this would be funny to share with you guys. I was driving home from a parent teacher conference when I started to notice a sound coming from my motor/tranny So I pull out of traffic pop the hood to listen thinking I spun a rod bearing no sound so I get back in the car engage the clutch and it sounds like a can of rocks and will no longer go into gear when the car is running so im thinking the TOB probably broke. :spin: I call a wrecker get the car towed to the shop they pull my Trans and my TOB had exploded I there was nothing but a thin piece of metal surrounding the input shaft. :lol: So my case is damaged as well as the input shaft and luckily my extended warranty will cover the damage of the trans and all I really have to pay for is a new throw out bearing.

Ill post some photos of the TOB when I take some on mon.

Ive heard this happening before has anyone else had their TOB explode?

Have your shop install one of these and it will prevent this from happening in the future. They cost about $200.

http://www.pdmusa.com/Applications/applications.html

That's a great find!! Do you know if this affects warranty in any way? I mean, I know the point of it is to protect the quill, but manufacturers don't always agree with stuff like this.

I'm going to look into adding one of these to our car once it's broken in.

The TOB is considered a wear item just like the clutch therefore they wont cover it not a big issue it will cost me about $30 for an OEM one from the dealer( yay for working at a shop)

The car was at 65k as for warning the only notice I had was engagement had changed I didnt really pay attention to it in which I wish I had :(

EDIT: I just read the other trans thread I did have the Squeal as well I had replaced my belts earlier to and there was still a squeal apparently thats the death whine of a TOB

The TOB is considered a wear item just like the clutch therefore they wont cover it not a big issue it will cost me about $30 for an OEM one from the dealer( yay for working at a shop)

Damn I wish you were up in Phx I'd have you swap mine out. I'm going to be proactive and do this but I really don't want a stealership to bend me over on the labor for a $150 part.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Damn I wish you were up in Phx I'd have you swap mine out. I'm going to be proactive and do this but I really don't want a stealership to bend me over on the labor for a $150 part.

Talk to Wes or Travis from Snail performance or you can try UMS.

That's a great find!! Do you know if this affects warranty in any way? I mean, I know the point of it is to protect the quill, but manufacturers don't always agree with stuff like this.

I'm going to look into adding one of these to our car once it's broken in.

You won't need it on the SpecB's 6MT. There's a pretty substantial TOB quill on the 6MT to start with.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Talk to Wes or Travis from Snail performance or you can try UMS.

This UMS? :eek:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/67-arizona/300493-beware-ums-tuning-apex.html

I talked to Travis from Snail...seems like a decent fellow. You have them do work for you in the past?

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Archived