LegacyGT.com

Ferrodo DS2500 - great pads, but track ate them in no time

I recently put Ferrodo DS2500 pads in my Brembo equipped LGT (all four corners). Great pads, better bite than stock Brembo's Jurids, no fade, and less dust.

Surprisingly they lasted maybe only 1000 miles, 250 of which were on track, plus one autox event, plus few high speed tuning sessions followed by hard braking. Today had to cut track day short after seeing lack of front pads

Pads before today's event had quite a bit more than half amount of pad material left (which was after 850 miles, 150 of which were track). I thought they would easily last me for today, but nope, they went bye-bye. Seems like the wear accelerated greatly as they were wearing. Interestingly they never faded and I was romping on the brakes pretty hard. What was different today were long 45 minute sessions, so the heat build up was bigger then typical 20-25 minute sessions. Would that be the cause for accelerated wear? Still, no fade or anything abnormal to give early warning.

I guess time to buy real track pads next time.

I have been driving DS2500 on the street. They are advertised as street pad/club race track pad. More street than track I guess and on the street they are terrific. So are on track in fact, just didn't last long.

^^^Most likely you had a layer of pad from the track pads still on there...

I drove on the street for a few days with the track pads to scrape off teh track pad material (cold track pads eat rotors)

And I've had my street pads on now for a few weeks now. I think the street pads are just toast. There isn't much left (maybe 2mm before the wear indicator) and they good cooked pretty good a few months ago.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I am a track noob hence may surprise. Apparently the pad lasts better if the sessions were short, 20-25 minutes, vs 45 minutes. They were more at half thickness and then latsted one 30 minute session, two 45 minute session and then one 30 minute session at which point they were gone. Live and learn.

Forgot to bring spares and I was thinking about it... Lost hour of track time as a result :(

Thanks for advice, but you're going off topic. I did some track events before and the driver and car were perfectly fine. Just the pads ended their life quickly.

That being said, DS2500 is phenomenal pad for a steet pad - it never faded, just got worn quickly, but given the work out it received I guess it was nothing out of ordinary. The track I was at (NHMS) is relatively hard on brakes with constant turns.

Hey Unclemat,

My understanding is that as a street pad gets hotter, the pad material will "give itself away" more quickly in the effort of still creating acceptable friction.

I'm no track monkey, but I agree with the above. You need a set of track pads that will give you all day track performance and decent life, without killing your rotors, and a set of street pads that will give you good street performance and 30,000 miles of life or more...that's my opinion.

Joe

Archived