howdy

so i sold the formals today

formula mesh on the way :)

what tires sizes have people been using

i do not want to go with a larger (diamater) ala the spec B

215/40/18 .6% smaller

225/40/18 1.9% smaller and relitivly cheep

245/35/18 .5% smaller

225/40/18 is the common size for everyone (from 7" wide to 8" wide). Unless your new Formula Mesh are 8" wide, the 245/35/18 would be the choice for more grip. Any reason why you want to go with a smaller size than Spec B size?

Keefe

Keefe

225/40/18's have more sidewall than stock (I have placed them on 18x7.5 wheels and compares side by side with stock wheels/tires and they are definitely taller). Where are you getting the figures that they are smaller rolling diameter than stock?

Jaxx - definitely snap some pics when you get the wheels on. What color did you get?

Guest turboman

If you watch "Sportscar Revolution" on cable you saw the program where they went plus 2 on wheel size (same weight as the stock wheels)(I think it was on the racing KIA), and increased the brake rotor size. They lost 12hp on the chassis dyno and couldn't figure out why.

An engineering research firm was consulted. Turned out the the larger rotating mass magnifies the "flywheel effect", in other words, the farther the mass is from centerline the greater the effect. So it's just not the weight, it's the overall diameter.

It's actually location of the weight as well (momentum or moment calculations). There was a discussion on wheel weights and such for calculating power loss. But nevertheless, the discussion is about what is the average tire size that everyone else is using for an 18" rim. It's up to Mr. Jaxx to decide how he wants to go about what he wants to do for his car and his ride.

Keefe

Keefe

Guest turboman
It's actually location of the weight as well (momentum or moment calculations). There was a discussion on wheel weights and such for calculating power loss. But nevertheless, the discussion is about what is the average tire size that everyone else is using for an 18" rim. It's up to Mr. Jaxx to decide how he wants to go about what he wants to do for his car and his ride.

Keefe

...well spoken.

formula mesh is 18x8

right now probbly go 225/40/18 kumho ASX as price is defanatly a consideration

as for wheel weights ... oh yeah no question about it but the car has to have some bling to it to compensate for the car its parked next to (flat black 93 wrx)

probbly gonna go with the steel gray havn't decided yet i can't put them on for a month and a half (snow)

I have 225/40/18 Kumho ASX on my car right now and they are not much good in the snow. Better than a summer tire for sure, but not by much. AFAIK, the Toyo's are the same price range (and probably lighter weight)

he's comparing to JDM Spec B tire sizing (235/40/18?)

Keefe

The JDM Spec B size (215/45/18) has a sidewall height of 3.8". A 235/40/18 has a sidewall height of 3.7". So it is actually smaller in diameter than the Spec Bs.

I've got the Spec B rims, so I'm thinking about going to 225/45/18, which would be slightly larger than the Spec B tires, but would comfortably fit on the Spec B rims. 215/45/18 is a nearly impossible size to find in the US.

snow is not a consideration.. i just don't want another set of 200 tread wear tires

i have some nasty studded-mudder-truck tires in 205/55/16 on there right now

the asx has a much higher max load capacity too

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=ECSTA+ASX&partnum=24WR8EASX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

putting spec B size tires on will be like changing to a 3.95 final drive ratio

not all treadwear mean the same from manufacturer to manufacturer.. it's easier to relate to it's own model lineup within the same manufacturer when comparing treadwears. I had a set of treadwear 280 (Yokohama Paradas) that I wore down in a matter of 300 miles (yes, you are reading that number correctly, through HARD driving), while my Falken Azenis RT-215 (treadwear 200) last a good 3000 miles of the same HARD driving). Most of the time, the treadwear only gives you an idea of how soft the rubber compound is and how well it bonds to itself. Once you start adding heat from the driving, you might as well forget about the treadwear. A couple of my tires I had in the past (DOT race tires) had a treadwear of 60 which lasted me a good 10,000 miles on the street with very conservative driving.

Note: RE92s are rated at 140 to 160 treadwear.

Max Load Capacity is based on the tire size and maximum tire pressure, not so much from brand to brand (very rare that you will find a particular tire company that can make a stiffer sidewall, often reinforced, but it still depends on tire pressures to help hold up the sidewalls). As for running 225/45/18, it's a taller tire overall than stock (215/45/17) of a margin at 26" vs 24.6" (which I think Mr. SCGT meant to type 225/40/18 which is a better comparison at 25.1" since that is what your tirerack seach was showing on the ASX).

i have some nasty studded-mudder-truck tires in 205/55/16 on there right now

Those sizes are either for a Legacy 2.5i or a WRX.. I doubt you can fit a 16" on the GT since it comes with bigger brakes.. check your size again.

If you want your tires to last longer, goto a speed shop with laser alignment equipment and make sure that your toe settings all the way around are set at 0". Typically toe wears out a tire faster than you can imagine (especially toe-in at 3/32").. and not many people's naked eyes can see a difference in the car's track lengths of 60.0" vs. 59.91", check your alignment to get the most life out of your tires.

Keefe

Keefe

no thats exactly the size that i am running w/front wrx calipers/rotors

http://home.velocitus.net/jaredw/images/12-30-04_1112.jpg

215/45/17 snow tires are expensive and i had a set of 205/55/16 on 2000 RS wheels and wrx brakes on my project car so i swapped them over it works out to a 4.5 % rear bias shift

i am willing to sacrafice performance for life span .. at least this time around

yeah i will get it aligned when i switch suspension

As for running 225/45/18, it's a taller tire overall than stock (215/45/17) of a margin at 26" vs 24.6" (which I think Mr. SCGT meant to type 225/40/18 which is a better comparison at 25.1" since that is what your tirerack seach was showing on the ASX).
Actually I am thinking about going to a 225/45/18. I am running Spec B rims, and eventually I'm going to be running Spec B struts and springs. The Spec B sized tires are one inch larger in diameter than the stock USDM tires. Therefore, if I go 225/45/18, I'd only be around .4" greater than stock Spec B.

My question is, assuming no rubbing, what are the drawbacks to going to such a larger sized tire? I know my speedo will be off and it will be the equivalent of making my gearing a little longer. Anything worse than that?

Archived