LegacyGT.com

What's better?

So, a little more than a month ago I had microfracture surgery on my right knee to remove some cartilage I damaged playing soccer. For the first month, the Suby sat parked in the garage - doctor's orders, no driving. This week, I'm able to drive finally, but I still am not supposed to put too much pressure through my right leg. As such, I'm currently having to left foot brake for pretty much everything. (Thankfully, the I-Drive in S# helps with not needing too much pressure on the gas! Probably something they engineers didn't consider with the system, but I'm happy!)

The question is, since I've got a manual, which is better for the car overall:

1) As I come up to a stop, downshift to whatever gear is easily achieved without overreving, then as the RPM's get down too low, pop the selector into neuteral - done without the benefit of a clutch, as the left foot's already on the brakes.

2) As I come up to a stop, put the car in neuteral with the clutch, then brake.

With option 1, I'm definitely being easier on the brakes, since they have the assistance of the engine in slowing the car, but I'm not sure if this is potentially damaging to the transmission or clutch.

With option 2, the clutch and transmission are certainly safe, but it increases the wear on the brake system and might decrease gas mileage just a bit.

Opinions on option 1 or 2?

Thanks!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Option 2! Brakes are cheaper and much easier to replace than tranny gates. I think across the board the potential to wear things out is lower and the things it will wear out are cheaper.
^ n00bs below this line

Well, looks like the early consensus is option 2. Can't say as that I'm surprised. I do hate the extra wear on the Bobcats, but so be it. At least in a little less than two weeks I should be able to go back to normal driving, and I'm already a hell of a lot better at modulating brake pressure with the left foot! :lol:

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, looks like the early consensus is option 2. Can't say as that I'm surprised. I do hate the extra wear on the Bobcats, but so be it. At least in a little less than two weeks I should be able to go back to normal driving, and I'm already a hell of a lot better at modulating brake pressure with the left foot! :lol:

lol i knew the feeling. I twisted my ankle pretty bad once and had to left foot brake for awhile. Those first few pushes with the other foot on the brake are rough ... especially for passengers!

Archived